Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to make rollers follow a multicurved cam surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountaininventor

Bioengineer
Dec 17, 2002
US
I have created the cam and the rollers and then proceeded to try and use mates to constrain the rollers to follow the cam.

No joy!

Anyone else had luck this sort of thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use Physical Dynamics to make this type of movement. It is not a permanent mate, but at least you will be able to see the motion. Physical Dynamics is an option in the "move component" menu. Access by icon in toolbar or under "Tools --> Component --> Move".

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

Is there some reason a simple surface to surface tangent mate won't work?

Remember...
"If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet."

IIRC, SWX 2001 introduced a cam mate and 2001+ improved the functionality so that multiple contiuous surfaces could be used for the cam.

I have done this in past using the profile of the cam (existing extrusion) to make a sketch and then selecting "insert", "surface", "extrude".

The extruded surface allows mating and the tangent contact of the cam and the roller to be cintinual.

Let me know how it works for your application.

Jay

OOPS, I left out an important part of making the cam. when the cam profile is made in sketch mode, you must select all the sketch lines (arcs, lines, etc.) and select "tools" "sketch tools" and "fit spline". If this process is skipped, the mate will not work.

Sorry bout the absent info.

Jay

Use a cammate. Just right click the surface of the cam and &quot;Select Tangency&quot; this will select all the faces of the cam provided that they are tangent. Next <ctrl> select the face of the cam follower and open the mate menu. The only option available to you should be Tangent. After this mate is made it should be referred to in the feature tree as a cammate and should do what you want it to.

The only thing squirrely about these is that they sometimes flip to the wrong side of the cam when dragging the cam around. After all there are two possible geometrically correct soulutions to this mate.

Just watch out and be ready with the undo button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back