Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Valve Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyatMP

Industrial
Jun 8, 2007
US
I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.

I need a recommendation for a valve used to shut off flow from a material holding tank. There is no pressure other than head pressure from the 12k gal tank. The material is a latex product.The valve gets manually opened at the begining of the shift, and closed at the end.I am currently using 3"npt Apollo Bronze Ball Valves, and I'm think maybe there is another option. The Apollo valves have really gone up in price, and the 3" ball valve can be a bear to operate. We have a total of about 90 Apollo 2" & 3" ball valves in operation, and some with 12 years on them. They do hold up well for us.
Maybe something other than a ball valve ?

Thanks,
Sonny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It the service isn't difficult, and you are happy with a ball valve, just not Apollo's price, why not change manufacturer?

It seems the only concern you have is $$$. Shop around - you may get a better price. Or, ask for a bulk discount?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks guys !

Per your recommendations I am going to use a butterfly valve for this application. I'm going to go with the standard EPDM seat & stainless disc. The EPDM will be fine for the latex product.

I looked at Keystone...looks good. Any other brands that are considered top notch ? ( Made in USA ) Just ckecking my current suppliers & hoping to find one through them.

thanks again,
Sonny

SonnyatMP,

There are fewer and fewer USA valves. The ABZ Valve Co. in Manhattan, Kansas manufactures butterfly valves that are good quality, and interchangable to Keystone valves. Some of their larger valves are sourced from off-shore, but they do have their quality controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back