Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needed details for installation of solar panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

want2build

Computer
Nov 6, 2005
US
I'm in the process of planning my second story of my addition. I'd like to budget and plan for solar energy panels being installed, but there is not much out there on the subject. Does anyone know of good sites, books, etc I can resource? Additionally, can you provide me with any helpful advice on any special considerations when ordering my trusses for my roof? Will I need extra support?

Your help is appreciated-Here's to getting off the grid!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once you've selected the solar panel, obtain from the manufacturer the location of the mounting holes in the legs of the base frame as well as plan dimensions for the location of the legs. These will give you an idea as to what size of blocking you need to install between the existing joists and their relative location.

More importantly, you should hire an engineer to verify the adequacy of the existing roof joists/trusses to carry the point loads from the legs of the solar panel frame.

Off hand, if the framing is wood construction, I see you adding 4x flat blocking with A34 clips each end at each support. Worst case scenario, you need to double-up the joists or strengthen the trusses affected by the added weight of the solar panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back