Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needing a big bore misaligning bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudely7

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2010
US
Hello, I'm trying to come up with a vertical shaft support (non rotating) bushing with decent misalignment capabilities on 2 specific bore sizes; 1.625 and 2.00" The bearing only needs to support minimal side loads and the only thrust loads will be friction between the shaft, as there will be some up and and down movement of the shaft, at various angles.

All the multi plain bearings, spherical bearings, uniballs, rose joints,etc I see in this size have very small ODs,which doesn't alow for much misalignment at all, and are typically optimized for continuous rotations (increased price)

Another concern is the steel shafts having an up and down sliding motion in the bushing, and the steel bearings will present a wear issue.

Total absolute strength is not an issue,but I cannot find a polymer bearing close to the sizes needed.

Can anyone suggest a market segment or trade name I might find the type of bushing/bearing we are needing? I would hate to resort to an oversizes spherical bearing with a high end plastic spacer added unless the parts could be supplied cheaply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back