Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Negative radius on element XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

srosset

Electrical
Feb 10, 2005
CH
Hello,

I am doing coupled field electrostatics/structural analysis.
It means that I calculate an electrostatic force, then the displacement of the structure due to this force. After that I do a mesh morphing to calculate the new electrical field and electrostatic force, and so on until convergence occurs. I am doing this on a circular plate, so I used axisymmetrical modeling. I have large deflection, but for relatively small strain.
My problem arises with high tensions (i.e. large displacement) after some iterations, I can do the mesh morphing, but I can't solve the electrostatic problem anymore and I get this error message : "Negative Radius on Element XXX" (XXX being the number of an element situated on the axis of revolution of my rectangle (the rectangle, by rotation around the Y axis, creates a circular plate))
What I don't understand is that the element is not highly deformed and looks fine. I've tried to look in the help files for this error message, but the only reference I can find about "Negative Radius" is in the time bisection paragraph of the automatic time stepping chapter :
5 An illegal element distortion is detected (e.g., negative radius in an axisymmetric analysis)
But I don't see what is wrong with my element. It has move a lot from its original point (it's at the center of the plate), but is not distorted. I tried to unmesh the area and remesh it, but if I control the new mesh, I do have the same error coming.
Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how I could solve it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Weird.

Is your model constrained correctly? I'm thinking rigid body motion and that possibly one (or more) of your elements is/are displacing outside the "allowed zone" in axisymmetric XY space? Make sure your triad is plotted at the origin (/triad,orig) then change displacement scaling to 1:1 (/dscal,1,1) and then pldisp. Have you tried running with/without NLGEOM as well?

Cheers,

-- drej --

There is one thing I might have done wrong : I haven't set a SYMM boundary condition on the Y=0 line, for I thought it was implicit, due to the fact I defined the element with the axisymmetrical keyopt. I've tried with and without it with small actuation voltage and as I didn't notice any differencs, I removed it. It is not clearly stated in the helpfiles if this condition is needed, optional or useless for axisymmetrical geometries.
If I take a close look to the border element near Y=0, I can indeed see that they have a slight negative move on the x axis, which is indeed illegal, but what can I do against it?

Thanks for your help.

I just had this same error message while running an axisymmetric structural analysis (linear, small-deformations). Turns out I had to put all my elements/nodes and lower items in the +x-axis. Apparently when my elements were in the -x-axis, Ansys didn't like it and gave this error for every element in my model.

What you describe is different from my problem, but is normal. I would suggest you read the help file for a more complete explanation, but in short, in an axisymmetric analysis, the Y axis (x=0) is defined as the axis of rotation of the model. It is therefore impossible to have any node with a negative x component. But you cannot place your model wherever you want on the x axis : for exeample if you draw a rectangle with corners at (0,0) and (10,1), it would represent a circular membrane of radius 10 and thickness 1. If you shift your keypoints of 10 along the x axis to (10,0) and (20,1) your model now represent a circular membrane of radius 20 and thickness 1 with a hole in its center of radius 10.

This shows that x component of the keypoints cannot be chosen randomly.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back