Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Negitive Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwkmts

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
US
I need to create a parameter that is referanced from an offset dimension of a coordinate system. I use a relation to create the parameter.

Relation

X_VALUE=d3

Parameter

X_VALUE Real Number 2.000 <----Should be -2.000

It works but only untill I regenerate twice(once to regenerate the parameter, and once for the assembly). Is there anything I can do to keep this dimension negitive?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use
$X_VALUE = Value

to retain the negative sign.

Usually the relations editor or modify dimension dialog box will give you a tip like use $d## for negative dims or something similar.

Michael

I tried what was suggested, but I end up with the same result. Is there anything else that I could be missing that would fix my problem?

off the top of my head a if then check comes to mind something along the lines of;

if d3 > 0 then d3=d3*-1

if d3< 0 then d3 = d3

now the syntax isn't proe-ish more vb like

so you'll need to dig around to get the end if's right and the == and so forth.... but I do think that would keep it negitive...

from knowledge base... which I'm guessing you have already been there;

The solution is to add a dollar sign ($) in front of the dimension parameter when entering the relation. In this example, the relation would be edited to now read:

$d10 = d1 - d2
Now, as shown in Figure 2, the dimension will update properly. Please note that the configuration option show_dim_sign is set to yes to allow the dimension sign to be displayed.

again the $ sign

I'm not seeing a val function for proe, in VB it takes the value of a string which you could keep neg. that way. as it would be a literal string until you converted ...sorry

could it be;

configuration option show_dim_sign is set to yes to allow the dimension sign to be displayed

no doubt your PIA level is high with this... but might be worth a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back