Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEMA or IEC Code : Forced Ventilation Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukin1977

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2009
PY
Hello,

What is the NEMA o IEC code for the forced ventilation type of induction motor? See attached picture

or how are they called?

125_mkf65u.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't speak well for IEC, but in NEMA world it is TEBC, for Totally Enclosed Blower Cooled. I think the IEC designation might be Cooling Designation IC 416, because the 6 at the end means "machine mounted independent component", which I take to mean the cooling fan is independent of the motor shaft.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

It's an IC06 arrangement - open motor with separately driven blower. The air enters at the non-drive end and exhausts at the drive end.

IC416 could be a TEFC motor with an independent blower, the sort of thing often found on VFD-driven motors operating low in their speed range.

Hi Lukin,
Is the load constant-torque (ie conveyor, crusher, constant displacement pump, etc) or variable-torque (ie centrifugal pump or fan)? If variable-torque, then a remote aux blower fan may not be required (ie you might get away with the standard shaft-driven fan; even with a turndown of 10:1).
GG

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back