Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NEMA versus IEC Control Relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxhoundme

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2003
US
I have a client who doesn't want to use any NEMA rated IEC devices on the control panel. It is a government project and he states his specifications condemns the use of any NEMA rated IEC devices. What are the advantages versus disadvantages for using a NEMA rated control relay versus an IEC rated control relay?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, it can't be dual rated, which means it meets both the NEMA standards and IEC standards? That seems rather silly since the device is NEMA rated, same as the NEMA only device he wants you to source instead.

There is some NEMA only stuff still around, but it's generally bigger and more expensive because of its limited market share. Bigger is mostly because it's based on old designs that have not changed in 20+ years.

The only possible advantage I can see to this is he is hoping he gets old over-designed NEMA stuff that actually does more than just meet the NEMA standards.

I know what I think of when I hear the phrase "control relay", but perhaps it means something else to someone else in a different field of engineering. Got examples of each, to the point of part numbers or links to catalog items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back