Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NERC reporting requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrengrds

Electrical
Mar 11, 2002
US
Is a site required to report to NERC if the protection system would not have operated if there was a fault? The equipment is tied to the bulk electrical system that would not have operated if there was a fault, fortunately no fault happened and it was found and corrected (relay programming miss-assigned outputs from construction). If it miss operated it's required to report, but if it's found that it would not have worked and didn't miss operate, are you required to report? I haven't found anything that says it's required and would appreciate your knowledge.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, there are no NERC requirements saying that you need to report in this situation. PRC-004, which is the standard that asks TO's and GO's to report operations, only applies to actual operations; not misoperations that could have happened. However, in situations where you have noticed that your facility is out of compliance with say standard PRC-024 (or any other standard), you could file a self-report with NERC where you identify how the non-compliance was discovered and its overall risk. This is mainly to give you and your organization time to fix issues that would take a lot of time and money to resolve.

The only place I found was PRC-005-6. Countable Event – A failure of a Component requiring repair or replacement, any condition discovered during the maintenance activities in Tables 1-1 through 1-5, Table 3, Tables 4-1 through 4-3, and Table 5, which requires corrective action or a Protection System Misoperation attributed to hardware failure or calibration failure.

...any condition discovered during the maintenance activities....which requires corrective action.
which is what happened. Not sure what a countable event means or if that's required to be reported.

I am surprised that if all the maintenance is required, that you must have records available for review, but if something is seriously wrong with the system for an extended length of time it's not required to report. The company involved would be a registered entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back