Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Network Win XP and Win 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcadman

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2002
US
I want to hook up 2 computers via ethernet cards to share a DSL modem. The question I have is that the main computer which has the DSL modem connected to it is running Win XP Pro, and the second computer is running Win 98 2nd edition. Is this possible? Also, does the second ethernet card have to be the same brand of card, or does this not matter?

Flores

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

doesn't matter. just be sure to enable ICS on the Win Xp Pro machine, and that the ethernet cable is a crossover cable

Scotsdude[bravo]
Life is nothing without beer
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!!

I've just succeeded at something similar.

I have networked two PCs - one using Win 98 and the other Win98 SE - and it works (Amazing!) I have a Realtek card in one and an Intel card in the other. I am using a crossover cable connecting the two machines with no hub.

It took me one week of messing about to make this work - a very frustrating experience.

The main hindrance I found is that there seems to be nothing that tells you if things are working, or what exactly is not working. I had the wrong drivers for one card and once I installed the correct ones it worked - and it was like magic, which is annoying. I don't understand how I succeeded.

Can someone tell me what is a "Dial Up Adapter"? It's obviously not hardware.

My tips to any novice trying to do this (and the results are great, when you get there) is:

1. buy identical cards - eliminates one variable
2. buy cards with good documentation - the one I bought seemed to assume you already knew everything
3. look at a friend's home network and examine and get familiar with all the parameters.
4. When you understand it completely, write me and explain it all to me.

Cheers,
John.

Cheers,
John.

let me guess - the dialup adapter is appearing in windows 98, yeah? it seems to be a common thing, that windows just adds in to any networking device. Techincally, its actually a modem, or something similar - if it isn't causing problems, then just leave it.

Scotsdude[bravo]
Life is nothing without beer
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!!

Yet another option is to purchase a router. These are relatively inexpensive these days and also provide hardware firewalls. The one I own is a 4 port Linksys cable modem router and both of my PCs have no trouble connecting to the internet, PC1 dual boots WinXP Pro and Linux Mandrake 9.0, PC2 dual boots Win2k Pro and Linux Mandrake 8.2.

Well, i would like to say 2 things:

1. a Dial Up adapter is a modem that can identify dial tone and Dial Up: it can send the correct Dual Tone Multi-Frequency codes ... An example of non-dial up modems is the one in which you plugin 2Mpbs connection, but not all those are non dialup either.

2. I have two PCS, on on dual boot running XP and 98, and one running 98. When they both run in 98 they see each other. When the first runs in XP mode, it does Not see the 98. By "see" i mean see it on the local connection, however i can still "use" the connection (over the cross over cable) and play for example Red Alert 2.

To test if your card is running, type:
ping 127.0.0.0

at the command prompt, this address is your local pc.
To see if the cable is working, ping the pc as per the address you gave it when you installed the TCP-IP stack for that connection, for ex:
ping 192.168.0.1

Finally, instead of Internet Connection Sharing, you can use Wingate between 2 98 PCs: when one of the is connected to the internet, the second one can also send packets to the internet if you specify the PC with the modem as your primary domain name server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back