Neutral Conductor in Medium Voltage Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer1916

Electrical
Jan 9, 2020
US
Hello Eng Tips Family,
I have a question about the Neutral conductor in medium voltage distribution upto 33kV. Why is the neutral required even though there is absolutely no single phase load connected, specially towards the 33kV?
Also I have noticed that This Neutral is provided almost through out the whole USA except in California. PG&E doesn't provide it.
Any light on the potential advantages, disadvantages and uses of this neutral will be highly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The norm in many areas is line to neutral single phase loading.
In my area, virtually all of the 25 kV single phase loads are connected line to neutral, with no neutral conductor.
Ground return for smaller single phase loads is common.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Waross,
Is single phase loads the only reason to add the neutral? Nothing to do with protection scheme for Multi point grounded neutral system?
Also do you know the reason of why California Utilities not have neutral conductors?

It is not a true statement to say that "California Utilities [do] not have neutral conductors". There are delta systems, both 4160 and 12kV in various places where all of the loads are connected phase-phase. But there are other configurations where there are very definitely neutral conductors and single phase loads are connected phase-neutral. California is a bit place with lots of utilities and they each do things their own way.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Also do you know the reason of why California Utilities not have neutral conductors?
This has been discussed and explained. Search this site for more information.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

The neutral, or some call it a lighting shield, can be placed above the 34kV to reduce the number of lighting caused outages. The neutral/shield also reduces the number of lighting arrester failures.

Cali, is one of a few locations where they have low isocronic levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back