Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Neutral/Ground Current When Closing Substation Tie and Downstream Tie

keeverw

Electrical
Sep 26, 2024
US
Hello,
I'm new here.
I joined because I was searching for an answer to my question and found some threads on here that sounded like they answered it, but they didn't.
But at the very least it sounded like there might be someone on here that has experience with this issue, and can help.
So that is what I'm hoping.

My name is Wayne. I work for a high voltage engineering/construction/commissioning/maintenance contractor in the Houston, TX area.
I have been in this business for 26 years, and now supervise a High Voltage maintenance crew at a petro-chem facility.

This place has nine 138KV substations, and tons of distribution.
There is only one of the substations that has this issue (that I've seen anyway).

Lets call it the "Main Sub" just because I don't want to share company info that I might not have permission to share.

This is a typical 4-GCB, 2-Transformer ring bus.
The secondary voltage is 12.47KV (I will refer to this as 15KV to save time).

There are two 15KV buses with a tie breaker in between.
On each bus there is a small cogen that feeds into the bus, and a power factor correction cap bank, and multiple pairs of distribution feeders.

Each pair of distribution feeder have a feeder on Bus-A and a parallel feeder on Bus-B.

5 of these AB feeder sets go to in plant 15KV MTM switchgear setups, which also have a tie.

So here is the issue.

When you close the tie at the Main Sub, the load on TRA and TRB balances out as you would expect and there is zero neutral current and zero ground current.

But if you then pick a pair of feeders and go downstream to that gear and close that tie, now you have a significant amount of neutral current.
It varies with the different sets of feeders, one is 60A, two others are around 40A.

And I have tried this multiple times, and every time the neutral current is exactly the same, as in it doesn't fluctuate.
It's different depending on which set of feeders you are on, but if Feeder pair #1 is 60A then that pair is always 60A, etc.

You see this neutral current on the downstream Main breakers, the Main Sub feeder breakers, and the Main Sub Main Breakers.

We have had to disable neutral current trips temporarily every time we do this, because the amplitude is near pickup level on the 50N in some cases.

Ok here is where it gets weirder (to me anyway), if you are in this initial configuration (with upstream and downstream ties closed and neutral current present), and you then open a downstream main (either one) the neutral current goes away (in all places where it was shown before).

If you are in this initial configuration and you open the Main sub Tie breaker, it goes away.

If you are in this initial configuration and you open one of the Main Sub Main breakers, it goes away.

It is only there when the Mains and tie at the Main sub are closed, and also the mains and tie downstream are closed.

Now someone (a plant tech) closed the Main Sub tie, and a 480V tie 2 levels downstream (skipping the 15KV SWGR in the middle) and there was no neutral current.
But maybe the 480V transformers had something to do with that.
I'd like to try this on another set of lower voltage downstream ties to compare at some point.

Oh I also forgot one thing, there is a 5000hp motor fed off of the Main Sub Bus-B (across the line, no VFD), but no similar motor on Bus-A

Also when this neutral current was present we checked every feeder at the Main Sub and only the ones mentioned above showed the neutral current.

Also on the initial set of feeders, we actually clamped all three phases of the 15Kv cable at the incoming side of the downstream SWGR, and it showed the 60A.
So it is real unbalance, not a CT issue or something like that.

These are fairly long cable runs from the Main sub to each downstream SWGR, and some of them have been spliced.
So my initial thought was possibly there was a bad connection somewhere, and when the loads had parallel sources, they preferred one over the other a bit on that phase, causing an unbalance which would equate to neutral current.

I'm trying to think if I've left anything out.

At one point I thought it might be a bad connection on a vacuum bottle on the downstream tie, but we tested it and it's very low and balanced (around 30 micro-ohms each phase).
Also if that were the problem it wouldn't go away when you open the main.

Some of the downstream feeder pairs haven't been tested yet because they have auto transfer schemes that are not easily disabled, so you can't just close a tie and not also open a main, which we've already proven at several other sets doesn't create the neutral current.

Oh, also I put an ammeter on the actual ground from the HRG on both of the substation transformers, and read maybe 10 amps, but it was always 10 amps, regardless of the tie breaker position.
I never saw it change. I think the main breakers at the Main Sub don't look at neutral current, only ground current, and I believe it is connected as a residual ground (ie. the non-polarity wires from all three phase CT's sum through the ground CT input on the relay). So it's measuring unbalance, just like a calculated neutral current would anyway.

On the initial SWGR we saw this issue on (the one with 60A neutral current when the ties are closed), each main at that SWGR shifted the A-phase amps when the ties were closed.
A-phase on one main went up by around 10A and A-phase on the other main went down by the same amount. They were so lightly loaded (maybe 100A per bus) before, and so well balanced it stood out more at that SWGR. It might have been the same way at other SWGR's but I didn't notice. But obviously if B&C do not change, but A does, it will measure neutral current because of the unbalance. But why the shift?
And why only in that particular configuration.

The fact that we see it on every pair of feeders from this particular sub, but not at any other sub, makes me think the problem is at the Main Sub.
Maybe a mismatch in impedance on one phase of one of the transformers, but if that were the case you think just closing the Main Sub tie alone would create this scenario, but it doesn't.

I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone might have to offer.
This has made it very difficult to get any maintenance done downstream of this particular substation.
We have been looking into this and experimenting as time permits off and on for about 6 months now.
We even installed a switch at the first set of SWGR to temporarily disable the 50N settings.

Thank you,
Wayne

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Code:
bacon4life (Electrical)26 Sep 24 23:15
Are there any load tap changing transformers or voltage regulator? Perhaps phases on different transformer taps could cause neutral current.

No there is not either.

Thanks for the response!

One tap may be on the wrong setting.
If possible, check all of the phase to neutral voltages and look for a phase that is out of balance.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

waross (Electrical)27 Sep 24 03:29
One tap may be on the wrong setting.
If possible, check all of the phase to neutral voltages and look for a phase that is out of balance.

Based on most recent test data for the two Main Sub transformers.

TR-A
Expected Ratio = 19.167
Actual Ratios:
H3-H1/X0-X1 = 19.152
H1-H2/X0-X2 = 19.142
H2-H3/X0-X3 = 19.152
Measured Voltage:
VCA = 12590
VAB = 12600
VBC = 12540

TR-B
Expected Ratio = 19.167
Actual Ratios:
H3-H1/X0-X1 = 19.163
H1-H2/X0-X2 = 19.046
H2-H3/X0-X3 = 19.029
Measured Voltage:
VCA = 12570
VAB = 12590
VBC = 12630

I do see B & C phase ratio on TR-B off a bit from the expected.

Could that be causing it?

If that was it, I would expect to see neutral current on the 2 main breakers at the main sub with just the main sub tie closed, but I don't see that.

Also I think I said in my OP that when the Main sub tie is closed, and you open a Main Breaker at the Substation, the neutral current goes away.
Looking back at my notes, it does not.
The thing that makes it difficult is the transformer relays are electro-mechanical, but they do have a basic meter that doesn't show neutral current or ground current.
But there is a Multilin which is a bus overload, so when I say I see neutral amps on the transformer mains, I mean that bus overload relay.

And what's odd is if you open Main-A nothing changes.
But when you open Main-B the Bus-B overload relay neutral amps go to zero (assuming a starting point with the tie closed and a downstream tie closed and neutral amps present).

I have a spreadsheet with all the different tests we have done, and some of the values.
I think I will remove any plant info from it and attach it today, so maybe that will help.

I really appreciate the responses so far!

Lets say the ratios being off a bit on TR-B is the problem.

Wouldn't there be neutral current on Bus-B all the time, if the voltages were off because of the varying ratios on each phase?
Let's say A phase voltage was slightly lower than B & C. Wouldn't A-Phase amps be slightly higher then for a given load?
And then any difference in amps between AB&C would show up as neutral current, correct?
Or as long as the volt-amps are the same, does it still cancel out to zero when all three phases are summed?
The way I understand how the Multilin calculates neutral current, I don't think voltage has any part of that equation.

And why would it would manifest only when the main sub tie and a downstream tie are both closed at the same time?

Just trying to process this.

With mismatched ratios I would expect to see a persistent neutral current if these transformers were paralleled.
Unbalanced loads may or may not cause a neutral current that will be seen whether the tramsformers are paralleled or not.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I dropped those unbalanced voltages into a simulation with a set of 25 MVA transforms, and it showed 46 amps of neutral current due to the circulating current. Beckwith has a good explanation of how to run a hand calc at
If you can upload a single line diagram, please include the wye/wye-grounded/delta connections for each winding.

As to why the 480V transformers do not show much neutral current, two possible reasons:
1) Certain winding configurations (i.e. delta/wye-grounded) block zero sequence current flowing towards the 15 kV side.
2) The comparative impedance of the 480 V transformers is probably at least 10 times larger than the substation transformer, so any circulating current would be at least 10 times smaller.

Are the neutral current measurements coming from neutral CTs or from the residuals of the phase currents?

I dropped those unbalanced voltages into a simulation with a set of 25 MVA transforms, and it showed 46 amps of neutral current due to the circulating current. Beckwith has a good explanation of how to run a hand calc at
If you can upload a single line diagram, please include the wye/wye-grounded/delta connections for each winding.

As to why the 480V transformers do not show much neutral current, two possible reasons:
1) Certain winding configurations (i.e. delta/wye-grounded) block zero sequence current flowing towards the 15 kV side.
2) The comparative impedance of the 480 V transformers is probably at least 10 times larger than the substation transformer, so any circulating current would be at least 10 times smaller.

Are the neutral current measurements coming from neutral CTs or from the residuals of the phase currents?

Wow. Thank you for doing that.

If it's the voltage variance on TRB between the phases, wouldn't you see the neutral current on that main breaker all the time?

The only thing is like I said there isn't an electronic relay looking at the transformer CT's or rather the main breaker CT's. Those are all electro-mechanical.

There is an old GE PQM but it doesn't show neutral current.

I could clamp all three phase CT polarity wires, and see what I get on a Fluke, that would tell me the residual secondary CT amps, and I could calculate the primary.

But let me ask you this, if you are correct, would you see these amps on X0 on the transformer?

I don't know if I can share plant drawings. But I will try and get the nameplate data from the transformers tomorrow. I am off work today.

I have the power factor test results which have nameplate data, but unfortunately they show everything but impedance.
As I remember they are very close though the two transformers. They are old, 1980's, and they are 15MVA base.

With a wye:wye transformer, unbalanced line to line loads on the secondary cause a neutral current on the secondary.
A neutral current implies a voltage drop on the supply conductor.
This voltage drop shifts the electrical neutral point away from the expected neutral point.
Mismatched secondary voltages will also cause a shift of the neutral point.
With your transformers paralleled with mismatched line to line voltages I would expect to see line to line circulating currents at no load.
These circulating currents will be obscured by load currents under load.
The resulting neutral currents will remain.
The neutral current will be more dependant on the voltage mismatch than on the loads.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I tried checking all three phase CT secondaries with a fluke yesterday on each Main, with the tie open, closed, and with Main-A open and the tie closed so all load on B.

I pretty much measured 0.2 - 0.3A constantly. Which I am thinking is just noise. Because it never changed, there was roughly 500A on each bus, and even when I rolled the load to Main-B it didn't change.
To me there is a voltage issue causing an unbalance, it should have been amplified by doubling the load on the transformer.

The CT's were 2000:5 and they were on the mains.

I realize the 0.3A secondary could equate to 120A primary, but since it never changed, and I saw the same on TRA and TRB, I'm not convinced that is real.

Back