Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Neutral pickup setting for three phase motor protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

andieh

Electrical
Mar 28, 2013
US
I am wandering what to set the neutral pickup setting to for a medium voltage motor relay. I am taking the amp readings from a zero sequence CT. I realize that there should not be any current flowing if every thing is balanced. Should this setting be 1% of FLA or 10% of FLA?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not usually a neutral connection on three phase motors. Any current coming back on the neutral is probably ground fault current. I would treat it as a ground fault indication and set the protection accordingly.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

David Beach is more familiar with protection settings than am I. I defer to his suggestion.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

You usually need to know something about the system, such as it being resistively grounded. It'd be useless setting the current to 20A if your system has a 15A NGR.

If the system is solidly grounded then the exact setting doesn't matter too much. The setting will not limit the ground fault current anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back