New Build Industrial Warehouse - Slab Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZINDDEV

Industrial
Jan 11, 2024
US
Hello All,

I am building a new industrial PEMB warehouse.
10K SF, 16' clear, steel construction.
Tenant expected to be service, trade, light mfg, assembly, contractor, etc. Basically light industrial use.
Racking limited due to clear height. 3 levels up to 12' pick.

We are in the process of determining slab specs.
GC says 4" w/ FM slab.
Arch says 5” w/#4@12”OC EW

This will be over 12" abc.

Is one underbuilt, and the other overbuilt?
Is the steel fiber reinforced concrete an option, offering strength, less concrete, competitive economically?

Appreciate the insights you can offer.

Thank you,
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

4" feels light to me. 6" would have been my default but I could probably be talked down to 5" for truly light commercial / industrial.

The clip below is from an old CRSI manual. Antiquated as it is, a lot of engineers still use this as a starting pace for slab thickness.

The steel fiber is just another means of achieving crack control in most cases.

c01_nk7yj8.jpg

I'd never use a 4" slab for anything but residential. 5" min, maybe 6" if it's possible for a different future usage. I never use WWF in a slab... I've encountered too many of them where the reinforcing is in the bottom of the slab. I also use PEVB between slab and base material. I only use steel fiber for serious industrial slabs... not for light manufacturing.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

AZINDDEV said:
I am building a new industrial PEMB warehouse.

First question: are you building it, or designing it? If you're not the structural engineer, you need to hire one...about 3 months ago from the sound of it.

If you are the structural engineer, have you designed a foundation for a Metal Building System before? If not, pick up Newman's book. If this is anything like 99.9999993% of the MBS's out there you're going to need tension ties across the base of the rigid frames. Is that going to be integral with the slab, or independent of it? There have been more than a few construction failures of these things because somebody decided they could us fibers in lieu of specified solid tension reinforcing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back