New Challenge fof an Structrual Engineer 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mewoods6

Structural
Mar 7, 2014
US
Greetings,
I am looking for a new challenge. I have recently obtained my PE license and plan to take my SE exam in Oct of this year. I have been studying for the SE exam since last Oct and even took a refresher course with hopes of taking the exam this April. I was not able to register in time and have lost steam in my preparation for the exam. I was wondering if any other engineers have obtained other certifications that were useful and challenging. I looked on the American Concrete Institute Certification Program site. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these programs? Or can make other suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what to make of your question. Isn't your job enough of a challenge? I've never went to any ACI certification training, but I'm guessing it's oriented toward inspectors, not engineers. Maybe the technology of concrete would be challenging (making mix designs, testing, etc.), but that's pretty specific without much use outside of a concrete supply company.
Are you just looking for a goal to reach for? The SE is pretty tough. Why don't you just concentrate on preparing for that and see where that leads?

I would totally be burned out on studying after all that. Why not just take a break for a bit? Focus on a fun hobby, get registered, and then study again.

I am very burnt out, haha. I am in the process of registering for the SE in Illinois for the October exam. In July I plan to pick my studying back up again, reviewing code books and completing practice problems. Again, haha. But as I write this response I am reflecting. To answer your question JedClampett, I am not challenged at work. I am a structural engineer by education and experience, but I work for a civil engineering company. When I accepted the offer a few months ago, I was promised to have structural projects to work on, but I have only been reviewing junction chamber designs and civil engineering work. I do not want to go into the exam rusty from not working on structural projects. Farther, I want to continue to move my career along, I have added LEED accreditation, a master's degree in Civil Engineering as well a my PE in Illinois and Maryland. I have a love for the technical and practical practice of structural engineering. I've attending webinars, seminars and read threads on this forum just to increase my knowledge base. As I look for another (a true) structural engineering opportunity, I do not want to get too far removed from the world of structural engineering.

After my SE, I was ready for a break. Then I went ahead and got started on my MBA. I'll be done in December with that and look forward to not doing any professional development for a while. There is more to life than certifications.

You are on the right track. Don't confuse certifications with experience. You have all the certifications you need to be very successful in this career; just work on getting the experience you need now to know how to best apply those certifications.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Mewoods, first off, kudos to you for being so ambitious to improve your knowledge and achieve certifications. As others have mentioned, you do want to avoid burnout. Take it slow. If you're interested in the more technical/code side of things, join professional organizations and try to get on a committee. That would be great experience. You can also meet peers at organization meetings. You may meet someone that can get you to a position where you will feel more challenged. It sounds like you are a bit disappointed with your work at your new job so far. Are you trying to get as many certifications as possible to boost your resume for your next potential employer? An alphabet soup of certifications may impress some hiring agents; it may mean little to other agents without the commensurate experience.

Thank you again everyone for responding. I think you all are correct. This all seems to stem from a lack of stimulus from my current employment. My first job out of college was as a project manager and I found it boring. So I enrolled in Washu's master program part-time while I worked full time just to challenge myself. And yes, I am trying to boost my resume, I know I picked the wrong employer and I don't want the past 3 months and however long it takes for me to find another position to be a waste, as it has been thus far. I am a member of the Structural Engineering Association of Illinois Symposium Board, among other not-for-profit associate boards. I have not attended events outside of the board meetings, which I usually teleconference into, so I will take your suggestion and network at SEAOI meetings and events. I truly want to thank each of you. In the process of posting and reading this thread I believe that I have determined the cause of my unhappiness and filling of emptiness. I will seek employment with a structural firm that can farther my development and challenge my structural abilities. That being said, I am open to suggestions on firms.

Mewoods, your story sounds very much like mine. I was in a good company but the company's focus was never structural. Therefore, it wasn't very exciting. I spent the time studying for the PE and SE and day dreaming. I have since moved to a more specialty structural engineering firm. MUCH more fulfilling.

You are doing good with your certifications and plan, keep it up.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Why not pursue getting a PHD

"Look for 3 things in a person intelligence, energy and integrity. If they don't have the last one, don't even bother with the first 2. W. Buffet

I'll throw ICC certifications out there. It's for inspectors but to pass you're required to know the ins and outs of the code, what tolerances are, what's okay, what's not okay, how things are built, etc.

Thank again for everyone's comments and advice. I think just being able to talk to like minded individuals has help me come up with a plan of attack. I will focus on obtaining my SE, using my free time to study and not pursue additional certifications. (The ICC did look very interesting) I will also look for a mentor in the field of structures as well as a structural designer position in my home town of Chicago.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back