Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New computer monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatCouture

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2003
CA
Hi, everyone

We are in the process of purchasing new monitors and I was wondering if anyone had some experience with LCD monitor, are they well suited for use with cad or I'm better of with a good old tube monitor.

Thanks

Patrick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go with the LCD's. I have been using them for 4 years with UG and Pro/E. Larger workspace, more deskspace, lighter to move.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I got a 19" LCD monitor and it's great I love it. I thought that the response time would be a problem but so far it works really good.

I use a 19" LCD monitor here at work with a 20+ MS response time (it's a bit older) and I rarely notice any ghosting. If you picked up a more expensive LCD with 12MS response or lower you could watch DVD movies and play computer games just fine--though I doubt you will be doing that at work.

Another thing to look for when buying a LCD monitor is the "dead pixel policy" of the manufacturer. Sometimes individual pixels on the LCD get stuck a certain color and it can be very annoying if they are near the center of the screen. Some manufacturers will replace the monitor if it has just one, others require 3 or more.

Good luck!

Had a Dell 20" LCD at my last contract and it was absolutely gorgeous. No problems at all with CAD.
It was one of the UltraSharp models rather than the standard ones, I think.
If you're doing hig quality rendering where you need good colour calibration then you're probably better off with a CRT, but for normal CAD modelling/frafting then I'd go for an LCD - if only for the extra space you get on your desk.
UglyBob is right about the dead pixels.

bc

Go with LCD, cost is not really a factor anymore. I was also afraid about using it for CAD applications but so far, I haven't seen a noticeable difference. Resolution is stuck though to one setting.

Go LCD.

I had a 21" tube at my old place. I was working from home for a while and really wanted something comparable but was on a much lower budget, I got persuaded into a 17" LCD for space reasons and the fact that even reconditioned large tubes were very expensive.

I was skeptical at first but it was fine.

At my new place I have a 19" LCD its great apart from a couple of dead pixels.

I find the LCD much less strain on the eyes.

The one thing I'd stress though is get the biggest one you can, but you knew that already.

Ken

Just wondered if anyone was using a widescreen format LCD ?
If so does it suit CAD better where you usually have the model/assembly tree or toolbars down one side ?
bc

Good question beachcomber. I've thought about that too every time I see the Dell catalogue with the wide screen TV that can be used as a monitor.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has any experience with using one for CAD.

Ken

I don't know but you might be better off with 2 19in LCD side by side, for the same price probably, and if you have dead pixels in one, you can switch. Of course you need 2 graphic cards entry.

I have two 19" Samsung 920 LCDs side by side right now with a PNY FX1300 video card. I breifly looked at widescreen format LCDs, but was a little skittish because of support issues, etc that show up in the random internet forums. I would like to add one more moniter, but I'm trying to manage quit a few things at once... as I am the proverbial one-man-show.

I know some CAD systems don't support 2 monitors very well so you don't get full use from it. That's why I was thinking a widescreen would be good but sounds like there may be issues.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back