Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New Computer Ram & Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheidt2543

Civil/Environmental
Sep 23, 2001
US
It’s time for me to get a new computer for work. I would like some recommendations on the amount of RAM and a video card; speed and memory? AutoCAD Light, Enercalc, and Bentley’s Ram Advanse software are my most used software packages.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok- Here we go !

If you're limited on Operating system because of older software, check out whether or not your program will run in Win-7/64 "Compatibility Mode". If not, you may be limited to an -XP/32 system. If so, just go with 4Gb RAM for either option below, but otherwise, everything else works as mentioned:

Storage these days is pretty much established- larger (500Gb to 1Tb or more) and faster (7200 to 10,000 RPM)and you're all set. You can get fancy (RAID, etc.), but its not necessary on a budget; either of these 2 options is good.

On the System Unit, seems to me you have 2 ways to go-

You can go high-end- Intel I7 or I9 Processor, LOTS of RAM, Win-7/64 Pro or Ultimate, Crossfire Video. Great option but Pricey !

2nd option- Good I5 or I7 Processor or AMD equivalent, 6-8Gb RAM, Win-7/64 in any flavor but I recommend springing for as much here as the budget will tolerate, and a good NVIDEA or ATI current-gen 1Gb video. I'm using an NVIDEA GT-240 in my work computer right now, even tho I'd requested a GTX-260- what at the time was the upper-mid range.

Point is, you gan go modest right-off-the-shelf and still get nice performance out of the software suite you mentioned, can spec out something solidly upper mid-range for not alot more, or can push the envelope in one area or another or all of them, and come out with a killer machine ! Its really up to you and what you feel is important. If you decide to go budget off the shelf, I'd still go with Win-7/64 if possible, and some extra RAM. Then when you opt for a little more processor, it'll take you lots farther, whatever you do.

Good luck ! I look forward to others' opinions, and to how you finally decided to go ! Post back here with results?

Good Luck-
C.F.

Just a quick addition

Our corporate IT policy dictates that we are restricted to Windows XP Pro SP3. This has exposed a bug in NVIDIA graphics drivers which dramatically slows down the production of graphics - so beware....

So much for splashing out on a top flight "CAD spec" mobile workstation.

I've just gone to a high end Dell Precision M6500 Laptop with 16Gb of Ram and a 1Gb NVIDIA graphcs card, running Windows XP 64 due to the Corporate Geeks not supporting Windows 7 64. I'm running AutoCAD 2011, AutoCAD MEP 2011, Revit MEP 2011 and Navisworks Manage 2011, plus AGI32 for Lighting calculations and ESA Easy Power for Power calculations plus all the standard Office applications, and I couldn't be happier. This is such an improvement over my last workstation running 32 bit Windows, that I would never go back to 32 bit. So far I've had no compatibility problems other than with Apple iTunes.

I got the same system (Dell M6500) as fishon, only with 8Gb ram. I'm just as happy with it, it fly's....

I got mine through the Dell business Outlet for a good discount. It is built really sleek for a 17 inch machine.

What are the chances AutoCAD Light, Enercalc, and Bentley's Ram Advanse software can be had in 64-bit versions ? If so, I'd definitely agree with the recommendations to go with 64-bit either -XP-Pro/64 or Win-7/64. Either way RAM limitations pretty much go away, as mentioned by every post above. The results are amazing ! If not however, my 32-bit cautions or even running your software in 32-Bit compatibility mode still apply.

I'm currently running ACAD-2011 & RHINO 4.0 in WIN-VISTA/32 and I'm ABSOLUTELY frustrated. Go with 64-bit IF AT ALL possible. If you're looking for a mobile platform, the Dell Precision M6500 Laptop mentioned sounds like a good performer. Its numbers look GREAT ! In a desktop unit you're spec'ing from scratch, get professional advice from someone experienced selling and supporting CAD hardware, & software experience too if possible. Otherwise, if you're tasked with recommending something on your own to I-T, I return to my original recommendations. The note on the NVIDEA sounds about right if your brand new machine is going to have -XP-Pro/32, so yes I'd avoid that if possible.

Good LUCK !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back