Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Dell pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I recently ordered new pc's for two new SolidWorks users and sent a list of the SolidWorks approved video cards to the IT & purchasing depts. We found out the other day that Dell has redesigned the motherboards in some desktops and most of the video cards listed will physically not fit. We had to send back the pc's to Dell and order last years model, we know they work. Has anyone come across this problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It was one of the new high end pc's. Dell said they re-layed out the motherboards and overlooked the size of some high end video cards.

macduff

Just noticed the computer specs in your signature.
Are you really running SW04-SP4.1 on XP-SP2?
I was of the understanding those versions were incompatible!!

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[bugeyed] I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose [shocked]

CorBlimeyLimey,
Yup, I am running on that plateform. Have crashes once in a while. But all in all it runs pretty good. I did here some rumors of XP SP2.0 not playing well with SW2005. Any you fellas that have any feedback for me would be appreciated.

Macduff [spin]
Meggitt Airdynamics Inc.
Dell Precision 370
SW2004 Pro SP4.1
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1300

Scott,
I'm not rolling out SW2005 till SP1.0 comes out. Also will have to do some additional testing before releasing to production use. I do have some crashes in SW2004 SP4.1 with XP SP2.0, but it's not too too bad.

When is SP1.0 getting released?

Best,

Macduff [spin]
Meggitt Airdynamics Inc.
Dell Precision 370
SW2004 Pro SP4.1
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1300

Well 4.2 SP (Which is out) fixes some instabilities. You should download that SP and install it. Maybe that SP will fix your crashing. If it doesn't,. then you have to look at the XP SP2, because SP4.1 or .2 is not supported. This has known to help SW become more stable.

SP1 is out in Early Visibility (EV) right now. about 2 weeks from when EV came out.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back