Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Dip Tank for electric Motor rewinding 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsalt66

Military
Jun 30, 2009
US
My facility has acquired a new varnish dip tank for electric motor rewinding processes. I have purchased Esterlite 605 (a solventless varnish)for our dipping process. I have chosen the solventless varnish as recommended by one of our US Navy Publications for safety reasons. I presume that this varnish does not require thinning of any kind as it is a solventless varnish. Am i correct in this assumption? When the time comes for changing out the varnish, what kind of cleaning agent do you forum members recommend?

Fix it right the first time! Have a great Navy/Marine Corps day!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At 600-1200 cps, the stuff is not exactly watery, so I assume when you say 'dip tank', you mean 'vacuum impregnation chamber'.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

For Blacksmith: Yes, i am waiting for word from the manufacturer of the product. Thanks for your reply.
For MikeHalloran: The dip tank is equipped with a ventilation system, pumping system, filter system, and heater system. Once we have rewound the electric motor we then place it in the "dip Tank" which is filled with solventless varnish. US Naval Shipboard Repair Activities are required to use solventless dip varnishes. Their high flash point, greater than 200 degrees F eliminates the fire hazard posed by solvent-containing varnish. The varnish then impregnates the new windings, we then place the stator in a bake oven. This is just the basics of the process we use. Through further research I have found that I believe i answered my own question - no thinning required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back