New Edition of PCI Design Handbook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimWT

Structural
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi!

PCI released the 8th edition of precast concrete design handbook in 2017.
Its preface says new edition is based on IBC 2015 and ACI 318-14.

Should I apply 8th edition or old 7th edition of design handbook where IBC 2012 and ACI 318-11 are currently used?

Thanks!
PCI_DH-1_u5dt3f.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IBC 2012 (Chapter 35) doesn't reference the PCI handbook - probably because....it's a handbook, not a code or specification.

The handbook does base its contents on code provisions in the IBC and/or ACI, though, so any use of a handbook for design still needs to meet the applicable adopted code provisions of your project's locale.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Do code authorities in the states really get this pissy about code versions? I totally understand meeting the major provisions of codes if they're the ones that are in place at the time (i.e. if load combinations or the entire wind calculation methodology changed between revisions), but are you going to get designs rejected for using a more up to date material code that still meets the intent of the old one?

I use updated material codes before they're technically referenced by the building code all the time in Canada, because it seems reasonable to use the best state of current knowledge wherever possible. I've never even had it come up as an issue. I've actually used building codes early once or twice as well and that wasn't really a problem either after a quick conversation.

I can understand not wanting to have people use older standards than specified, but getting annoyed that people are using more up to date information seems weird.

TLHS said:
Do code authorities in the states really get this pissy about code versions?
The ones in Canada (or at least where I am) most definitely get pissy about this. To the point where they made us revert our general notes back to the old CSA standards that are referenced in the 2010 building code, even though those standards are at a minimum 1 release out of date and in most cases 2 coming on 3.

I'm in the Jayrod camp here in Ottawa.
specific issue I have is glass guards. latest standard referenced in the code is from 1989. all new advances including clauses in IBC accept no top rail for laminated glass.
yet our official is a stickler and is adamant that we follow the 1989 standard.
makes absolutely no sense to me.

p

For your situation, I recommend using the 8th edition PCI Handbook since there are relatively minor content differences between ACI 318-11 and ACI 318-14 and, barring an objection from your client or the Building Official, ACI 318-14 represents the latest state-of-practice information that will likely soon be adopted by the jurisdiction in question.

In my neck of the woods, most code officials don't object to using the most recent version of a code even if its not specifically reference in the adopted IBC.

You have to abide by the building code used. If the building will be designed based on IBC 2012 code, you cannot use ACI 318-14 and therefore you should use the 7th edition of the PCI. However, if the design is based on the IBC 2015 code, you should use the 8th edition one.

This question will be clear if we consider ASCE7.
Though ASCE7-16 was released and now it is the latest edition,
can you use new ASCE7-16 with IBC2012?
I don't think ASCE7-16 can be used OFFICIALLY unless IBC2018 is adopted.
Likewise, the 8th edition of PCI design handbook cannot be used with IBC2012.

New edition is not necessarily better and legal documents are beyond common sense.

Thanks!

WT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back