Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New Engineer in the Bearing World 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestl

Aerospace
Jun 14, 2010
US
I left aviation and am starting a new career in heavy machinery and need to learn about bearings. For starters I am designing a bearing housing for a self-centering bearing (PEER FH205-16) and need to figure out the tolerances needed for a proper fit. I know this is a pretty generic question - I don't need a specific answer just now (but are welcome!). I just want to know how one goes about learning this stuff. I've searched Eng-tips forum without much help. Too specific and nothing on this type of bearing. The manufacturer's technical data is above my head still. Things like page 22 of link below.

I don't even know if it applies to the mentioned bearing but I certainly don't understand it...

Are there good books out there to get started? Amazon had nothing but Tribology books. Do the bearing manufacturers ever help one-on-one to some extent?

Thanks!!!
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There was a section on housing fit in your link. You'll want to read about shaft fit also although I didn't see that in your link.

The SKF Bearing Installation and Maintenance Handbook is a good reference that I go to over and over. In addition to the standard fit charts I remember they have some information about deviation from roundness. Available from distributors. Also SKF has a lot of on-line info available in the interactive catalogue

NTN and F.A.G. also have good detailed catalogs.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

I too recommend the SKF literature, I don't know if you can still get a paper copy of the catalogue or not. No you can't have mine.

Here are several reputable sources of the training
you need.

(Mechanical%20Training)/en-US/ProductDetails_us/Industrial-t
raining.aspx

t.aspx

training.html

Might be a good starting point.

maintenance.aspx

I would also give these people a call.

First - congrats on being willing to read and learn what you need to learn.

Second - In answer to your question about how helpful the manufacturers are - usually VERY helpful! The application engineers are there to teach you what you need to know to successfully use their product. Think about it. They have an interest in making sure their bearings work well in your application. I've been doing this since way before the internet, in fact before CAD even existed. Back then, all you had was a paper catalog and the telephone. You learned to rely on the experts. I bring this up because by far the most common suggestion I have given to folks posting queries like yours on this and other engineering forums is very simple - pick up the phone and call the folks that make the product you are wondering about. It amazes me that this simple action isn't the very first instinct for SO MANY young engineers out there. And when you call ask for "application assistance", not customer service or sales. Way too often those folks are just order takers without any real technical background.

And third - when I was in your position, one of the most valuable activities for me was simply studying old drawings. And usually the older the better. Get down to the details of tolerances, fits, finishes, and ask yourself "why did they do it that way?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back