Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New grad engineer - still unemployed! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimo1989

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2010
CA
I live in the Alberta province of Canada, and I graduated just recently from the local university this spring with a BSc in mechanical engineering. I have around a year of experience as a research assistant at the university, but nothing else beside that. I missed the September hiring season, and now I'm doing an engineering technologist position, just as something to hold me over until a possible future EIT position. At this point in life, would it be beneficial for me to keep applying for EIT jobs? Alternatively, would going back to school next fall for a masters degree make a significant difference in my hirability?

Thanks for the help in advance, I'm really hoping I can start my career as an engineer some day...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A ME in Alberta who can't find a job? I get a couple of calls a week from up there looking for facilities engineers in Oil & Gas. Seems like the shale (both oil and gas) is starving for bodies. What kind of job are you looking for?

As to going back to school, do a search for "Masters degree" and you'll see a bunch of threads where the same people give the same advice. Maybe you can learn from it.

David

I feel a little desperate now, because all the online job postings are looking for 2012 new grads already, and I have no idea if they'll even consider me, a 2011 grad. Do I stand a chance at all there?

You are still a new grad. Go ahead and apply for entry level positions. Don't even call attention to the fact that you are not squeaky new. Keep applying and don't overlook the power industry.

I'm in Alberta as well, it seems to me like you shouldn't have much problem finding a job, there are 100's of job postings. Where are you applying, I know people working in the oilsands who are desperate for warm bodies.

In Alberta, unless you are looking at an academic career, getting a Masters without any experience will put you at a disadvantage. No one wants to pay the premium you'd demand for having the masters without you having any experience.

Thanks for the response everyone. I'm primarily having trouble finding entry-level jobs the O/G, HVAC, or even manufacturing industries, and the online job board at my university is next to useless for that purpose. I understand that the Albertan economy is fairly strong now, and there is a lot of demand for new people, but how can I access that job market? A new grad has very few industry connections... Could anyone suggest a few names to apply to?

Another issue, I guess, is that it doesn't seem there are many companies that are willing to take a guy with minimal experience, train him in his job, and only use him after that. Is there a way around that problem?

Thanks for the help!

Working as a technologist since graduation means you have more experience than the fresh grads. You can't beat a bit of industry experience regardless of the position.

I don't know about your particular location but here we have job seeking websites that list hundreds of jobs offered by various companies. Whether it be through a recruiter or the company directly have a look around for something similar.

I think you will find companies like taking on people with minimal experience that require training. They get to train you the way they want, you can do jobs senior engineers feel is beneath them and most importantly you are cheap..

Stop doubting yourself, apply for anything and be confident about it - the job will come.

Where in the province are you looking for work? I wouldn't limit my search to positions listed as entry level. Every job ad nowadays asks for 5 years experience, but they will look at anyone who is remotely qualified, since most of the experienced people have already been snapped up.

Do some research into all the large companies in Alberta and start your search there. Shell, Dow, Suncor, Syncrude, Cenovus, Imperial, Worley Parsons, CNRL, are all huge companies that employ 100's of engineers, and they are always hiring new grads. You might have to head out into the bush for a year or 2, but, as you are finding out, getting that first experience is invaluable.

You don't even need to apply for a specific job posting, just find out who does the hiring, and get in contact with them. Most jobs aren't advertised, you just need to go out and find them.

Hello Shimo

KSor gives good advice don't limit your self to applying for entry level jobs. I work in the Edmonton area and experienced Canadian trained mechanical engineers are hard to find, some companies will settle for alot less than they ask for. I just changed companies in July and my previous employerer was forced to hire a fresh grad to replace me even though they were asking for three to five years of experience. I have seen adds from David Aplin which is a recruiting firm looking for resumes from engineers looking for entry level positions. The Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME) also has monthly technical dinner meetings which is a good place to network as would and I believe ASM International does as well. Also being flexible about working location until you get some experience would help. Hope this helps.

Alex

One suggestion from a Newbie, do not go to the grocery store when you're hungry in the same way that you do not go job hunting while desperate (also applies to looking for a mate). I had a choice between two offers and took the one that offered the higher salary in an industry I am not familiar with, solely because my hefty out of state student loans were piling up. Take what you think will be the better fit.

There may be lots of jobs for graduates and experienced engineers. However, at the graduate level there are lots of graduates looking for a job, and there is not a lot to distinguish between them.

Therefore I suggest that you look at how you are selling yourself, resume, covering letter, interview technique.

You will often find that the "big boys" take their pick and the smaller firms are where the jobs are available. However, they are less likely to employ a graduate that does not come across well.

The best graduates that I have employed over the last few years are ones that have had experience in real jobs and exposure to people, not the rarefied atmosphere of a research laboratories. This work experience included digging holes for irrigation and volunteering in a library. When I graduated, many moons ago, I started a job seeking course at the local university and got a placement at a building material construction company. I was only there for two weeks of a thirteen week placement before I was offered a job and left. I guess the air of desparation left me and I was a more attractive candidate.

Therefore keep looking, don't be affraid to re apply to the same company, and look at your options.

If your resume is close to anything we have been getting, have multiple people proofread your resume / CV. Have anything you are sending out proofread.

Companies are able to pick and choose right now. Putting extra effort into anything you are doing stands out. My simple example is the amount of unreadable resumes I sift through. Dress up nice for interviews. So what if the dress code is shorts, wear a suit.

I have no idea what an EIT position is, but why not just apply to anything that you can meet the qualifications. Even if the job says 3 years experience. 1-3 years working on the job is mainly learning the companies software and inner workings anyways.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

Your CV really is important. A CV never got anyone a job, but a bad one will certainly bar you from getting an interview. One time when I was looking to hire an engineer I was appalled at the quality of resumes that I got. One guy submitted his on green and white tractor feed computer paper (11X14) in all caps. I'm not sure what it said, it messed up my stack and I threw it away. Any CV with two typo's/misspellings went in the trash and a guy had to be really outstanding to stay out of the trash with a single typo. It is ENGINEERING attention to detail is one of the prerequisites.

There are a large number of books/articles/online resources for resume preparation. Some of the information is contradictory, and much of it is BS, but there are grains of value in most of them. When I was interviewing for my first job out of school (dino wrangler), the rule was that unless you had extensive experience, keep your CV to one page because no one reads past the first page. The consensus of the "experts" today is that the old single page rule is obsolete. The consensus of interviewers that I talk to (not HR, but engineering managers) is that they never read past the first page. I think the "experts" are dead wrong on that one.

David

Do you think its pointless for me to apply for new grad jobs in Alberta considering I'm living in Ontario? Because of the distance, would they not be willing to bother interviewing me cause of the plentiful amount of new grads already present in Alberta. I have had a number of interviews here (in Ontario), but it seems to be way too competitive and I still can't land anything. I wouldn't mind relocating to Alberta to work if what you're saying zdas is true and that there's a lot of ME positions there.

I'd like to thank everyone for their effort in answering my question. It's been very encouraging to read your responses, and I'll continue to apply for jobs despite all adversity.

As for your question, JBan, I believe you should definitely apply in Alberta. I was invited to interview for a position in Saskatchewan a few days ago, so I believe applying for out of province jobs is definitely an option.

Shimo first,

Don't worry about your eng. tech. position, it was understandable for the last while and cmpanies would approve of you having a job, let alone one still tied to engineering, that time is starting to pass though in Alberta at least.

If you haven't already join some clubs to network. Past the technical ones mentioned I would put my two cents on Calgary Sport and Social Club. Sign up as a single for a sport you would enjoy (even if you are not sports inclined, join the base leagues). CSSC is filled with young engineers that can easily be your future work mates. Something like this also helps polish your social game, which so many engineers lack.

JBan and Shimo,

Hopefully both of you have already found the APEGGA careers posting site, it gets a decent amount of postings on it and seems like a good starting point that goes beyond the uni boards. At minimum this will give you a wider idea of who is hiring.

EPC's (or some combination there of in Calgary at least are staffing up quite a bit, including new hires. Our HR group are doing the cross-Canada Uni tour and the talks are 500+ in the near term. Seek these companies out, like the PCLs, Bantrels, Fluors, AMECs etc. etc. etc. Often the client side companies look for the 3-5 years for their new hires if you didn't co-op with them. JBan, you being in Ontario is not that huge of a hurdle as companies are looking and often phone interviews are used as well.

Find a way to get your foot in the door, either through engineering contacts or HR. Try and find an HR rep and call them if possible, once to introduce yourself and ask about positions, they'll likely tell you to submit a resume on their website, this wa they'll possibly recognize your name though. Don't badger them and be polite as they can scrap anything pretty quikly.

Know about the companies you're applying for and tailor your cover letter to them. I never heard of my current company when I saw their posting but did some basic research and it paid off. At least know if they're engineering only, or construction, or construction management, or R&D, or plant operations, etc. etc.

As previously suggested get others to proof read your resumes and cover letters. Typos or a juvenile e-mail address gets the garbage can, use your university address or create a work only private one that is just your name. This is where your arts degree friends are useful.

For what it's worth mass mailing resumes got me nowhere and it was all my targeted ones that got me interviews. Your cover letter is your only page to sell yourself, use it fully and tailor this specifically to the position. Don' bother focusing too much on your degree, everyone has one of those, and for the most part once you passed it matters very little (unless doing research). Highlight the extra stuff that sets you apart.

Finally if you're interested in O&G field construction mention in your cover letter that you are eager to get hands on experience in the field. Expect this to be at minimum a year term if they ask you and conditions are similar to dorm housing, without a city to escape to. For the most part they're clean and the food is only half way passable but you'll likely be working 10-12 hour days on two week rotations so it won't really matter to you. The additional money helps pay any student loans quickly.

Good luck and get to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back