Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEW hole callout

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencilgeek

Industrial
Nov 11, 2010
US
Does anyone understand why the new hole callout does not do dual dimensions? I call it "new" because we just switched from 8.5 to 11. When I called tech support, they said that there has not been that many complaints about it, but there was an ER, and they did add me to the list.

Also, are we one of the few shops in the USA that dual dimensions everything? It seems odd that such a handy feature (new hole callout) would lack dual dimensions, unless nobody does that anymore.

I guess the question is - Am I crazy for thinking the new hole callout should have duals or are we crazy for dual dimensioning everything?

Chuck

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We do dual dimension some projects for specific customers but not all. I do agree that it should provide the ability to dual dimension considering all the money we are spending for it.

I duel dimension for the shop floor use.

We still use Inch stock sizes, fasteners, cutters and machine in inch mode. But we do all the designs in metric.
I use the appended text boxes to type in the inch callout most of the time.

It is a pain on the larger jobs or jobs with a lot of holes

The logic Siemens is providing seems to me like improving, as they call it, the Edge Blend command but having it only work with models made in Inch or Metric units but not both. The ability to dimension in a legitimate and supported manner with every other feature shouldn't be based on which modeling commands are being used. Then they want the customer to submit ERs when the "improvement" is a regression?

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

I agree. We are on the verge of starting to think about making a plan to begin the process of going metric. I am wondering if the need for dual dimensions is going by the wayside. Based on stuff like the new hole command not supporting dual dimensions, and the lack of complaints about it, I was thinking we are the only company still dual dimensioning.

Same with Feature Control Frames, you have to manually add the Inch (or Metric) value

NX 9.0.3.4
NX 11.0.1.11 (Testing)
Windows 7 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back