Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Job in Tunneling - Need some advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

salam0506

Geotechnical
Jan 21, 2013
GB
Hi Guys,

I have been a geotechnical engineer for about 5 years now but have never done anything tunnel related. Now I have got a job as a Geotech on the crossrail project in London which is kind of like a new underground line.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books to read or any resources that might help me out in this new job.

Thanks
Seenan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This type of post worries me. I have worked underground for over 35 years and I would be very hesitant to get involved in any of the London underground projects. These are difficult geologically, and they are not small tunnels, the margin for error is small, the consequences of error can be catastrophic. I dont see how anyone with zero experience could get up to speed by reading a few text books. I strongly suggest you evaluate the concept of not getting involved in a project for which you are not qualified.

Hopefully, Seenan is going into tunneling as an entry level engineer, and will learn on the job from mentors who are experienced. Reading never hurts, but experience can't be gained from books.

Sorry to have worried you miningman, I should imagine that for such a large project the people who are interviewing me and checking my credentials would be competent enough to make sure I am not "in over my head". Of course I will be a junior engineer or principal not a senior by any stretch. The job description involves face logging, preparing reports for the senior engineer and sorting out CPT's which I have over 2 years of experience in offshore which I am fairly confident about. I was simply trying to get a bit of a head start and see if there are any books etc that might be able to point me in the right direction.
To be fair I have enjoyed the offshore industry and was looking for work related to that but this has come up and I think it will be a good opportunity - I needed to move back onshore as I am now married and difficult to be away for long periods of time.
I have been a tad worried about the long term as the offshore industry obviously has much more money in it - not that is everything but these days it make a difference when living in london.
Any of you experienced guys have some advice as to career paths in this new direction for me?

I am not familiar with the cross link project, but the US Federal Highway Administration has a publication that is based on the applicable bridge design specifications by AASHTO. There may be a analogous document that was drafted on your side of the pond. I have found this free document to be better than many tunneling books that I have read:

"Support of Underground Excavations in Hard Rock" by Hoek is a 'classic' in nearly all tunneling consultant offices, but if the cross link is a soft ground project this will do you little good.

There are also thousands of technical papers that have been written and published, you just need to find the few that are applicable to your niche.

You may have already done this, but if you want to look competent on the job site review the pertinent geology and construction methods. If you fill me in on the methods I might be able to get you some more technical resources.

Hi Guys,

Have started the new position and I am enjoying learning about the tunelling procedure etc. We are tunelling in London Clay and in part some of the Lambeth group, Does anyone know of any good resources for tunnelling in clay and the associated works. We are about to do some depressurization probes and I understand roughly the idea behind it but would like some more background information if anyone has it?

cheers
Seenan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back