Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New mate groups??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBasniak

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2001
BR
Hello,

How can I create a new mate group? I have a lot of items in my mate group, and there 4 or 5 that are really important and I have to change them everytime... because this, I want do create a new mate group just to make it easy... is it possible?

Thanks,
Rodrigo Basniak

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Great idea, but I don't think it is possible, Solidworks automatically creates new mategroups but these are not generated when a mategroup gets too big but when you create in-context parts and the such!

One method for you could be to insert a new sub assembly within the assembly and then drag your crucial parts into that assembly, any mates that relate to these components should be automatically dragged along with them.

demojok

Well, it sounds good, I think could help me :) Too bad I can't redefine my subassemblies. My machine must be divided in specific assemblies :-(

Rodrigo Basniak

RB
Something I do to make finding frequently-changed mates is to use a string of XXXXXXXXXXXX in the mate name. If there are a lot of such mates, it is probably easier to make several configurations driven by a design table, but if you need to vary a few mates the other method helps and is easier to set up.

You could also edit the Properties of the Mate that get's changed the most to all CAPS, or rename them to something useful. So instead of having "Concentric23" and "Distance 15", you might have "CON Cylinder" and "DIST Rod" as examples. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

I've been used these solutions by a long time, in my opinion, it's not the most efficent solution, but it's the better I found... I think SW must put something like this is SW 2002, don't you think: :)

Thank all of you,
Rodrigo

You could also create a design table that controls the values for the common mates. Then, just open the spreadsheet and change all of the values. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back