Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEW MFG GRAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cor2OO7

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2006
US
I'm a mfg eng'g graduate (graduated last year) from an asian country. Now I'm here in US, I'll be working my first job and I'm not sure what field/job to look for. Any suggestion? I can only think of AUTOCAD DESIGNER since I have no work experience yet and I'm very interested in this field.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are a manufacturing engineering graduate, I am not sure that you would want to start out looking for a design type position. Prospective employers are less likely to consider you for that role (Mechanical Engineering degree would be a different story). You may want to look at Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Process Engineering, and possibly Quality Engineering type positions. Find an industry that sparks your interest and look for these types of postings from there.

Good luck and regards,

some people say there's nothing wrong with working as a drafter first before stepping up in an engineering role, but some say I'm selling myself short. I have no idea what position is good for me. Can you please suggest some? I'm a manufacturing engineering grad by the way, not mechanical. I'm new here in US and have no experience yet. Thanks!

I agree with PSE 100%. Hang in there you will find something. Don't sell yourself short because if you do you will most likely always be behind salary wise.

If I may suggest, rather than explore your knowledge, explore/research what industries and companies you might be interested in working in. Actively and persistently target them with your application(s) and resume. As a graduate, you are now competing in a considerably larger arena of candidates. A prospective employer is going to want to know what makes you stand out above others.

Network if you can through local societies and other friends/contacts. There tend to be more "unadvertised" positions than ones that get posted on the web or in a paper.

Regards,

Get a resume, Send it out to the job service companies, jump in and start learning.

New Grads are groomed, you have many processes to learn.

GET YOUR FEET WET AND DON'Y WORRY ABOUT IT; AND DON'T LOOK FOR THE BIG BUCKS IN THE BEGINNING.

"Use Your Degree Major" - You think you are a CAD Designer; well you better know many processes and techniques befor claiming that title.

Ed Spearman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back