Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEW MUSTANG REAR SUSPENSION 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyShope

Automotive
Sep 5, 2003
US
What with the emphasis on dragstrip applications, does anyone know why Ford didn't offset the upper link to the right on the new Mustang rear suspension (ala the Jaguar C-Type)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you are right about the wheelspin on that Typhoon. From what I have seen on the internet about it, it only can manage about 6.5s 0-100km/hr which is ridiculous for a car with that much power and torque, even if it is all at the top end. Your drive.com.au said "Performance: Not possible to record an accurate 0-100 kmh time." The rear suspension seems to be highly regarded though, even in lower horsepower versions of the platform. The Mustang would have been lucky to have gotten the IRS, but the money probably wasn't there.

Bear in mind that's only 404 lb ft, it is not a monster engine in production form, and the car weighs >1700 kg. Other sites claim 5.7 seconds. To be honest until they sort the clutch problem out no-one will really know.

So far as the Mustang goes, for an IRS you'd be putting six hundred bucks and some kg into a car that sells for as little as 20000, for a benefit that few people would notice, and which certainly would not affect their buying decision.

I wish we'd kept a coil spring beam axle variant going in our car, it really was a sensible solution for real people.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back