Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Nukes? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zogzog

Electrical
Mar 7, 2006
US
What is the latest news on building new nuke plants in the US? Last I heard there were several licences issued mostly for the mid atlantic area.

I was a navy nuke but went into the HV power system testing field and have been considering entering back into the nuke world. I am also considering a move to the mid atlantic area.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No licenses have been issued for new plants. There have been a few early site permits issued. Late 2007 and in 2008, several companies are expected to submit their construction/operating license applications (COL) to the NRC. If that happens, those companies should get their license issued around 2010.

Almost half the existing plants have been issued license extensions, many of those being on the East coast. If you are looking to get into the commercial nuclear industry, this is a good time to start looking.

Thanks jpankask! Yes, site permits sounds like what I read about, from what I understand that is step 0.5 and dosent mean that there will be a plant built there.

Any ideas what companies will be submitting construction licenses?

Dominion Virginia Power (Used to be Virginia Electric Power - VEPCO) has two sites that were originally designed for 4 reactors each, Surry and North Anna, currently have two each, they're exploring adding another one to one or both sites. Also I think Duke in North Carolna is looking. Go to this site has regular update on the power industry, including nukes.

Even submitting an application for a construction license doesn't mean a plant will be built there, although I believe that anybody at that point is pretty serious about a new plant. The American Nuclear Society publishes a monthly update on where people are at in the process, in their magazine "Nuclear News." I don't have one here but I believe the parent company for South Texas Project is expected to submit a COL later this year. AmerenUE in Missouri I believe expects to submit an application in the next year as well as AEHI in Idaho. There were two initial consortiums of owner/operators and reactor manufacturers (Unistar I believe and I forget the other one Duke was involved with) that are expected to submit one or more COL applications in early 2008 for unnamed sites. If you can get ahold of a "Nuclear News" magazine, it will list the known announcements and the expected dates.

Per the 9/25 Energy Daily lead article:
NRG Energy Inc. Monday filed the first full application in nearly three decades to build a new U.S. nuclear plant, asking the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for a combined construction and operating license for two new boiling water reactors at the South Texas Project nuclear facility near Bay City, Texas.

Didn't see anything on the NRC site today, but there's often a delay before things become publically available.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Want to post an image? Look at the FAQ's in forum559

Thanks for all of your encouraging posts. Well I am making the move to N.C. to manage a new power circuit breaker shop that will cater to the nuclear industry. I will post details towards the 1st of the year when an official announcement can be made.

Here is the list from 12/31/07 COLs filed with the NRC

Site Name Location
Bellefonte Nuclear Site Units 3 and 4 TVA's Bellefonte
Calvert Cliffs Unit 3 Lusby, MD
North Anna Unit 3 Existing site
South Texas Project Units 3 and 4 Existing site
William States Lee III Units 1 and 2 Duke's Lee site

It isn't really new, but we just got the order for the condenser tubing for Watts Barr 2, the unit that never went into service. It is supposed to be generating in 2010.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Ed - About how much tubing is there in one of them condensors? Seems that I heard once an astounding number (like miles and miles and miles) but I can't remember.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

There seems to be a mismatch between expectations and reality. According to the latest issue of Power magazine, there is a demand for approx 10,000 more engineers to address the increase in demand for nuclear reactors , but the US graduates a grand total of only 350 nuclear engineers per year.

They also discussed the declining influence of US legislators that promote nuclear power-their no 1 advocate Pete D. is retiring this year due to illness, and the no 2 advocate Larry Craig 's reputation is now "in the toilet".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back