Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New NX10 "Layout" functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrintScaffold

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2006
RU
Hello everyone!

Did I get it right that once NX10 layout has been propagated into an assembly, there is no associativity between 2D layout itself and sketches that drive the created 3D parts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I gathered so far, it does not really support top-down approach. Once we generated the assembly, the parts become essentially disjointed, and there is no top-level sketch to drive them all together? Is that right? Or am I missing something?

So, it looks like traditional sketches plus "sketch groups" still are the best way to recreate mechanical layouts.
And they are totally associative.

I have a nagging feeling that in its present implementation NX Layout tool is a dud.
To me personally, it does not make much sense to create a 2D layout which will lose all associativity with the subsequent.

I also indentified something that I think (I maybe be wrong) is another issue. When converted to 3D assembly, NX converts all 2D components into newly created .prt components. But what if some of the components have not to be recreated from scratch, because 3D prt files for them already exist? Is it possible to use existing files for such components in the assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back