Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New NX6 setup slow on clent PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PintoBeans

Mechanical
May 13, 2008
US
First I'll give a brief background about my setup and situation.
-We are a small company with 15 seats of NX.
-Previously each user's PC had a complete install of NX5
-Being a smaller company this wasn't a problem however now that we're starting to grow it's becoming an issue
-We are currently running NX5 and in the process of testing NX6
-We'll need to be able to continue running NX5 while we make the transition into NX6

Here's a rundown of what I've done so far in setting up a dedicated server/host machine and the client machines
-The Host/Server PC is running Windows XP SP3 with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz Processor and 2 MB of RAM.
-I Installed NX6 licensing and NX6 on the Server/Host machine on a Secondary internal drive (Drive "D")
-I used the license file for NX6 as the license file for LMTOOLS
-I "shared" the folder that NX6 is installed on with the rest of the network users
-I made sure I disable the windows firewall security for this shared folder
-Installed NX6 using a mapped drive installation on the PC clients and pointed them to the Server/Host PC

Here's the problem I'm having.

-When I start NX6 on the Client PC's it takes forever for them to start up (it never took this long when NX5 was installed directly on each PC)
-When I look at the Task Manager on the Host/Server I notice there is a huge spike every time one of the Client PCs fires up NX6 or someone switches modules in NX6 (going from modeling to drafting)

A few questions I have regarding my situation.

-Does this server/host pc have good enough specs to be acting as a server/host for the clients in this setup?
-Do I need more memory in the server (will these speed up the loading of NX6 on the clients)?
-Is there a better way to set this up for faster response times on the clients?
-Where are each individual's load options,tool bars and preferences saved when a server based setup is used?
-Can I designate where the user's setting are saved?

Any help or input on my current situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the ideal situation is to load the license on a network machine and the program on the individual machines.

That will be the most optimal setup.

Justin Ackley
Designer

I worked at one company that had NX installed on a server, and everyone else ran it as a client. It was very slow, and they switched to installing it locally, after setting up the computers to accept "pushed" installs from the remote IT computer.

"-Can I designate where the user's setting are saved?"

Yes. We use a custom .bat file to launch NX, which points to a .dat file, containing the environmental variables. This section puts the personal settings in a location, on the server. It does not save all of the settings, so I encourage users to create a "role" for themselves too, in case they change computers, etc. Also, the users personal folder has to be created ahead of time.

###################################################################
# Customer Defaults
#
# Defaults for entire site
UGII_SITE_DIR=${NX_CUSTOM_DIR}\CustomerDefaults
#
# Each user gets their own defaults file, in common directory
UGII_LOCAL_USER_DEFAULTS=${NX_CUSTOM_DIR}\CustomerDefaults\${username}\NX5_user.dpv

-Dave
Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back