Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Open Source Project Management Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

babynus

Computer
Nov 21, 2009
FR
Hi every one,

Having never found the Project Management Tool of my dreams, I started developing my own.

I would like to know what you would expect from a Project Management Tool.

My main ideas are :
Technique :
- Free (open source)
- web based
- easy to set-up - not having to spend hours or days to set it up
- easy to extend (such as a Framework)
- Access restriction and visibility limit depending on user's profile
- quick and ergonomic
Functionalities :
- Multi Projects management
- Definition of activities
- Definition of resources
- Assignment of resources to projects and / or activities
- Bug tracking (or any ticket like follow-up)
- Milestones definition
- Planning (gantt presentation)
- Resources work follow-up (with planning update)
- Risk Management Plan
- Project documentation management
- Meetings follow-up
- Mettings automatic preparation ?

What functionality would be included in the Projet Management Tool of your dreams ?

Babynus
Administrator of

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

huh, sounds like a huge project you know? but I like the idea as I've been looking for this kind of solution for awhile as well.

I'd be glad to help for anything related to alpha-beta testing and so on.

Cyril Guichard
Defense Program Manager
Belgium

What functionality would be included in the Project Management Tool of your dreams ?

- Change Order Management - The identification of the impact analysis of any increase or decrease to a change to the physical scope of the project (equipment, buildings, services, etc).

- Trend Management - The identification of, tracking of and analysis of any cost deviation over or under the approved budget (equipment costs, bulk material costs, office or field labor hours or costs, etc)

Hi,

FrenchCAD, I don't understand your proposition of an Open Office Add On.
The initially proposed idea is to have a web-based application, not heavy client.

Could you describe more precisely your proposition ?

Babynus
Administrator of

Personally, I'd vote against web-based, as that means that if I'm on the road, it's not available to me unless I spend $60/month or so to maintain a wireless wi-fi account, which I don't really have a need for.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Hi,

For those looking for an non web-based tool, you may have a look at It is a tool I developped since 1998, and used on my Projects (IT) for years. It grew depending on my needs. So it is now quite complete, but is laid on old technologies (VB6, DAO, MS-Access). Also the User Interface is not very easy to understand at first glance.

My idea for a new tool is to start from scratch and develop on the most requested standard : web based.
This allows to connect to the tool without having to set-up anything on the workstation.
I started developping a solution based on "free", "easy to set-up" and "easy to entend" standards : Php - MySQL.
You can have a look at it at Go to the demo and directy test it online (connect as guest/guest).
You can also donwload it and set it up on your machine. This way you can get a version you can use while you're on the road... You will also have access to administration functionnalities.
The tool is not complete on the target needs yet, but fully functionnal on the implemented ones.
Tell me your first impressions : is the User Interface pleasant ? Does it seem to be usable as an every-day tool ?
Is it simple enough to create an item ?
Then tell me the next functionnalities you would need to use it.

Thanks for your participation.

Babynus
Administrator of

Hi babynus,

Sorry, but it wasn't me proposing to make an Open Office add-on, it was PeterStock :)

I'll have a look at your link. Does your offline version offer synchro with your online version?

Cyril Guichard
Defense Program Manager
Belgium

Hi FrenchCAD,

Sorry for mistargetting my previous message.

In fact there is not online and offline tools. It is the same tool that can be set-up locally.
Data is stored in a database (MySQL), so synchronisation is possible. It is not implemented but it may be a good idea for a future functionality.
Of course, real synchronisation between databases may be very heavy to set-up. As a first step, we can imagine just a copy to get local (offline) visibility on shared data.
What's your opinion : Would you be interested in a read-only local copy or do you need a real synchronisation with shared data, to be able to edit your local copy and commit updates
when online ?
(question is open to everyone...)

Babynus
Administrator of

In a perfect tool, you shall have the ability to modify your local or your online data as you wish and be able to synchro both of them in both ways (online <> offline). Not to mention the fact it shall be multiusers, which I am aware of, would make it alot more difficult.

Cyril Guichard
Defense Program Manager
Belgium

hi,

Multi-user is for me a basic feature, so evident I did not mention it...

Both way synchro is a more complex technical implementation, especially in a multi-user environment. But it's a very good idea for the "perfect" tool.

Babynus
Administrator of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back