Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Pro/E user setup questions- on my own here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonClifton

Mechanical
May 2, 2006
US
Appologies in advance for this being long.
I'm a new Pro/E user at my company with a background in SW. Of all the users here, everyone has a different way to use the software and no one really knows how to do much with it (at least regarding initial setup and configuration issues). Any help with the following situations will be greatly appreciated.

1) One user at my company has a really fantastic set of drawing templates. I do not know if they are stored locally on her machine or if they are on the network. When she creates a new model or drawing and unchecks the "Use default template" box, a list of different templates appears, ready to be selected. How can I find out which directory Pro/E is pointing at when looking for these templates?

2) Assuming I find and retreive her templates and put them on the network so everyone can use the same templates, how do I configure each machine to point to the directory where they are stored?

3) Whenever I start a session of Pro/E it puts an icon on my desktop called "trail.txt.##" I have tried changing some value (the name of which I cannot remember) in the config.pro file to something besides C:\...\Desktop, but it only changes for the current session and then goes back to C:\...\Desktop when I restart Pro.

That's enough to get me started right now, I believe. My IT department sucks and basically told me over the phone "We only install your software- we do not support it."

Thanks again-

Brandon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Brandon,

What I do for the templates is have a copy of our templates in the format dir under the install directory. Mine is C:\ptc\proe2001\formats. You may be able to point to a directory on a network using a config.pro setting but using a pointer to a network usually slows ProE down.

For you trail file you have to edit the starting config.pro to set "trail_dir". I created a folder C:/Trail. I set the config.pro to "trail_dir" to C:/Trail. All the trail files go to that dir.

Here is a couple of good web site for config.pro settings.

Tofflemire

Brandon,
A couple of things....
This may seem obvious however, Pro/E is not always all that intuitive.
1. When you make changes to the config.pro, be sure to that the config file being shown in the "Showing" window is the one you want. Also, be sure to hit the "File Save" icon on the dialogue box in addition to selecting "Apply".

2. If you use a desktop short cut to start Pro/E, be sure that the in the icon properties, the "Start In" path points the the config.pro file that you want.

At our company, each user has their own config.pro that has the company standards - each user customizes only appearence settings etc.

As I am the CAD admin person at our company, I may be able to answer some more of your questions....We don't use templates though, only parameter driven formats.

Best of luck.

JW

When I search my HDD for config.pro, it shows me one in C:\Program Files\proeWildfire\jlink\jlink_appls\jlink_elev and one in C:\Program Files\proeWildfire\jlink\jlink_appls\jlink_param.

I opened it with Notepad but there's only a little bit of data in there.

Where else can I access the config.pro file to edit it?

Check this FAQ faq554-1172 for config.pro file resources.

I can also uplaod my colour map if you need it.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Config.pro is loaded from 3 locations on a Windows machine.
<loadpoint>/text
User's home
Pro/E StartIn

As an admin, I control the system default one in <loadpoint>/text and startin. The startin is a single line just to force the system to save to that one if the user makes any changes and then saves the file. there can also be a config.sup file in the <loadpoint>/text directory that can set options that cannot be changed by a subsequent config.pro.

You need to set pro_format_dir for the format files.
You can set start_model_dir and template_start* for your start parts
You can set pro_dtl_setup_dir for your drawing setup file directory and drawing-setup_file for the file itself.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

What would be an example of the address for each of these?

C:\....?

Since no one outside of IT has administrator rights here, I have to dumb this down as much as possible when I ask them to log in and let me change things.

<loadpoint>/text
User's home
Pro/E StartIn

examples for loading config.pro:
<loadpoint>/text - c:\Program Files\PTC\ProeWildfire 2.0\text
(Personnally, I NEVER use spaces in directory paths)
on my machine - c:\ptc\proewildfire2/text

User's home - c:\Documnet and Settings/<username>
Check the environment variable HOME
mine is d:\users\looslibh

Pro/E startin - default load is usually the HOME directory of the person who loaded the software.
I always specify c:\ptc\startup

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back