Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Problems W/SW2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2003
Anyone got this problems??
What I did is:
open new Part->created a square or rectange block, then save as, under save as type-> Part templetes, then enter new name for the templete, then close. The reason I did this because when I need a retangle piece, I just get it right from the templete and save as part Name "A" and "B" w/all geometry and description.
The problems are:
I mates "A" and "B" in assy (very basic mates "face mates")
modify dim in part "A" then error come.
part "A" cross over part "B" some reason the mates were broken...
any suggestion will be helpful

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW 2004 Sheet Metal Problem
We just upgraded to SW2004. When we opened a part, created with SW2003, the derived flat pattern of each configuration change so that all the derived flat patterns' dimensions matched those of the active configuration when the part was original opened in SW2004. We have reported this to SW corporation and have not heard back. Is anyone else experiencing this problem with their sheet metal parts?

We got the same problems with sheetmetal.
This problem will be solved in SP1 which is currently sheduled for release in the first week of november.

Anyone having problems with lines missing in print preview?

I see what your talking about and you should make your VAR aware of it.

If you repair the mates and try it again it's fine.

If you change Part A at the part level it's fine as well.

EngineerHVAC

This is a known problem and SW is working on it. Not sure if it will be in SP1.0 or not but I highly recommend you install it when SP1.0 comes out.

jloeff

Does the print preview show the lines to be missing? If not then the problem is with your print drivers.

Try printing to diffrent printers

There are some known issues and they are being looked at. Some will probabaly be repaired with SP1.0

FYI too all of you.

If you feel like being a guinea pig then installing and putting SP0 in to production is the best way to be that. But it is always best to wait for at least SP1.0 before puting the newest version into production. You should at least test SP0 when it comes out, but only test it to make sure it will work for you and your products. Don't bit off more than you can chew.

Best Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

We seem to be getting a multiple thread going here.....
This is for jloeff:

Are your parts interfering? We have found that if two parts interfere, then some edges/lines do not print. They are not necessarily anywhere near the interference. The interference can be minute.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Since this thread deals with SW2004 issues, here is mine.

At least I did make copies onto a memory stick before they put SW2004 on my computer. I do agree with SBaugh, do not touch anything new until it has been out and someone else had dealt with the bugs. I don't like being a guinea pig either. I am the only one working on my projects here, so I had no choice. To get to the point, I have a part that will not open in either SW2003 or SW2004 now. I was working on the a cover and base part the day of the install. I saved my files off. SW2004 was not installing properly and it was aborted. SW2003 was not removed. When I turned my machine back on, my files would not come up. I have an error of "invalid class found in file". Has anyone seen this error before? I did finally get he base to open, how I don't know. I have tried every method I can think of, fresh starts, open drawing first, copy to another data base and rename file. If this does not work, I'll try it on my machine at home. Not too happy with SW2004 right now.

You probably need to do a clean uninstall and reinstall. See my faq559-488

Be sure you do a new install of SW04 and not an upgrade.
Also put your SW04 in a new directory like solidworks04.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

I absolutely agree that it is best to let some other unsuspecting Joe find all the bugs in ANY new software releases (not just SW or any other CAD) before you decide to load it in production. There are usually plenty of them ready and willing to jump in and commit critical production to new revs. with no way back. Of course we get all their questions here, but that's OK. Case in point, would you load a new version of Windows in production as soon as it came out? Actually I'm not trying to be unkind - many of us also try to load on a non-production system and test out the stuff first, but we don't always have to luxury of the spare time.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

To All,

I agree that it's not always the best idea to jump in feet first when a new release comes out for any software. But some people, like myself, are so anxious to install the latest and greatest that you get blinded by the reality of software programming. That is, there will always be bugs in a system when it's released. Programmers have deadlines too, so they don't always have the time to work everything out. In a nutshell, what does everyone think of SW2004? Do the headaches overcome the functionality?

You also have to remember that some new modeling features have been added in 2004 that can save some of us enough time to make it worth the chance. Plus if you beta tested the software you also have a heads up with issues.

Problems with balloons...
I create an assembly drawing with balloons on each part and insert a BOM table. If I edit a part or the assembly some of the balloons lose their number and replace it with *. Delete the BOM table and the numbers return. Insert a new BOM table and the * returns. Not all parts - not all the time.
Problems with BOM table...
I found that I must always got to table properties and re-order the table to follow the assembly order. SW changes this for me to a different order when opening a drawing. Not all drawings - not every time.

I just saw the "*" balloon issue after saving a drawing as detached. Balloons applied prior to the change remained correctly but any new ones had the asterisk. Saving the drawing back to regular style allowed ballooning to work again.

Mandrake,
I checked out the detached drawing issue and this isn't the culprit (we didn't even know about this feature - haven't used it yet). I opened a drawing that I know I am having problems with, selected the balloons that I set to custom and entered a number into and set them back to Item Number and they displayed the correct information. I saved the drawing, exited the drawing file, and re-opened it. The * returned.
[dazed]

Another issue that is costing me....
I have to part files (socket head cap screw & O-Ring) that were built with design tables to establish the "standard" configurations. From the standard configurations I created derived configurations for different materials. Everything worked fine in SW2003. Now I am getting a dimension in one configuration being applied to all configurations. We are spending a great deal of time editing a particular dimension and assigning it to specified configurations. This works until for an unknown reason a different dimension gets applied.

I think I stumbled across a fix for the balloons displaying "*" instead of the item number. When I selected the parent view for my section view and selected "Linked to BOM" all the balloons dislayed the correct item number.
I'll try this on some other assembly drawings and report my findings.
Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back