Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New thread old question; GE motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwilly104

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2006
US
I have a thread that I posted about a GE 3/4 HP condensor fan motor running hot. It was the third motor that had been in the machine. It has run for almost a month but it also failed.The amp draw is fine, the fan blade is right, the capacitor is new, the coil is clean, and all circuits are solid. I am going to try a new motor from a diferent manufactor. I wanted to do this earlyer but all the suppliers in my area only stock GE. This time I will wait for the other brand emerson or marithon to come in. ICM controlls rep told me bad things about GE motors built by REGAL-BELOIT and if the other motor runs cooler and lasts I think I will agree. Any body have any input on GE motor trouble recently. Thank You and good night.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had a GE motor seize up. It does not have cooling fins at the rotor to cool the permanently lubricated bearings at each end so they failed early.

If it is a open drip proof motor the vent openings can become plugged with dust and dirt, this causes the motor to overheat. I would think it would have internal thermal overload protection. It's better to shut off than to burn up.

GE probably won't confess their sins if they are sending out defective equipment. You would have to find someone internal to the company that is honest or a third party like maybe the consumer protection agency.

ICM rep? Is it a variable speed motor? I know I have heard of some bad GE variable speed motor problems, but I dont know if any were condensing fan motors. I do know they were for evaporators. Also the GE version is suppose to be more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back