Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintwo

Bioengineer
Oct 30, 2011
US
Hi all,

I'm trying to use a rigid indenter on a deformable bulk body - I used discrete rigid for the indenter and axisymmetric shell for the body.

I think I've got everything running up to speed fairly well except for I got this one error:

Error in job Push1: 10 elements have very small, negative or zero dimension/s. The elements have been identified in element set ErrElemDimSmallNegZero.

Does this have something to do with the fact that I meshed the rigid wire..? Are you supposed to mesh rigid bodies?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

If you open the results (.odb) file in Abaqus CAE you can plot the element set ErrElemDimSmallNegZero to see which elements are causing the error. This might help you figure out the problem.

Good luck,
Dave

Dear spintwo,

I've gotten a similar error. Could you please let me know how you've overcome negative or zero dimension elements ?

Regards,
Ladykin

You often see this where people have, for what ever reason, used tetrahedral elements. These can be almost flat in some cases, and over curved regions can give the error of negative volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back