Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to design, need help in grading!

Status
Not open for further replies.

designrookie

Civil/Environmental
Dec 30, 2004
US
Please list any helpful information, pdf, websites, books etc. on grading or any related subjects such as: street design, construction staking, surveying, etc.!!! Thank you all for your time, as I just graduated and starting with my first design office on Monday morning and want to have as many resources readily available as possible. I will be sure to pass this on to others.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DesignRookie....
Way too many resources to list. Use google.com and carefully search using a variety of keywords.

Good luck on your career. When you have specific questions, these forums are great for getting guidance.

Welcome to Eng-Tips.

Ron

Congratulations for wanting to stay ahead of the curve. Talk to the senior engineers and ask what references they use the most, and then go to Ebay or Abebooks etc. and purchase your own copy. If you get a chance to take 2 day seminars, go for it, even if you have to pay for it yourself initially. Once management notices that you're an active learner then everyone will be eager to pay for you to learn, you'll then become better at what you do, and good things will follow.

A Member of

One of the best ways I have learned about grading is driving around town and see how grades are in the real world, especially after a heavy rain. Try to visualize how the equalateral grades wrap around a highway, structure, retention basins, or anywhere the grade had been altered. Erosion from a heavy rain event will also tell you where erosion protection should have been placed. Like the responses above there are so many other thngs to consider such as property lines, earthwork quantities, and constructibility. Watch and learn your senior engineers and the contractors that build your design.

rookie,
I myself was in your shoes not to long ago, ebay is a great place to buy books, as far as a great reference on marking survey stakes,basic street design,and some other basic excavation techniques, I highly recommend "Excavation & Grading Handbook" by Nicholas E. Capachi. It is a good place to start and is fairly cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back