New to GD&T. Critique my drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManifestDestiny

Automotive
Feb 1, 2011
AU
Hi folks

I'm relatively new to GD&T (and even drawing) but after wanting to learn it for quite some time, and have taken a gentler approach of using for a personal project before I feel comfortable using it professionally (early career - so baby steps).

I've probably jumped in the deep end with a part that is trickier than most to dimension, so I've resolved to using the first sheet for the overall geometry and the second sheet to position holes. These are by no means a final draft, but they at least show the direction I'm going in.

On the first sheet I'm unsure if I've dimensioned the angles on the triangular shape well enough to fully define the geometry. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible and avoid redundant dimensions, but I'm not sure if I need more information, or if my approach is completely wrong here. I'm also unsure how linear dimensions come off a fillet edge (111mm length in the Top view).

samfr_mainframeSHEET1-1_k5haag.png

On the second sheet I've used control frames a bit more extensively to define hole positions. I just realized that I don't need a section view when a wireframe could have sufficed as well.

samfr_mainframeSHEET2-1_oxu7e0.png

Ignore most tolerances as I'm yet to fully specify that based on what the shop is capable of.

Any advice/criticism appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ManifestDestiny said:
(they'd never seen it done the other way).

Because they are either lazy or not up to date, or they don't get any training in reading drawings (I assume the last). If you explain the datum feature symbol placement to them next time they won't have any issue reading that.

ManifestDestiny said:
...ended up running this by machinists...

If you're talking about your thread over on...um...that social media site, you should be careful. I'm not referring to any specific advice you received when I say this, but that site is not a good source of engineering or machining knowledge. I don't want to mention the site by name.

Getting advice from real engineers and machinists is a difficult and imperfect thing; beyond very simple matters, everything becomes mud. Getting advice from pretenders is worse than no advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back