Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to NX - any advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon205

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I'm a relatively experienced SolidWorks user (last 4 releases) and soon to be starting a new job using NX4.

I've used a few different 3D CAD programs in the past (Pro/E Wildfire 2, SDRC Ideas V9...) but never Unigraphics or NX, and I'd appreciate any input anyone has for me as what to expect.

Any other SW users made the transisiton, and advice/pitfalls?

Cheers,

Simon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well Simon, many of the tasks both systems do are going to be similar your experience will help. But at the same time expect it to be different. In the main it provides you with the freedom to work as you chose. Like most freedoms the powerful benefit and the weak lose out, and in this case knowledge really is power.

Keep an open mind that's just the secret to learning anything really. NX is a hybrid modeler not just a sketch based system, or a surfacing package. You can stick to what you're used to for your own purposes but when you start to work with other people's data you may be shocked to find it somewhat anarchic compared to what you may be used to. I find that people who judge any system by the standards of their favorite are apt to be over critical and do themselves a disservice by rankling against the differences. In many ways NX is about as powerful as a CAD system can be, sure there are Pro's and Con's with any comparison you care to make but I'd like you to try starting by getting and overall sense of what is possible. At least that way you'll be embarking on a journey of sorts that has some sort of desirable destination, whereas many just experience a new CAD system as a series of rather pointless trials whereby they endure change without appreciating the purpose of doing so beyond some superficial need to do it that way because the software makes it so.

Get some training, start with CAST if you can and any other materials you're able to find from whatever sources are available to you. Install the documentation that comes with the software, you'll find that you can work through the commands and by hitting F1 get some explanation of how each is used. That explanation may only be sufficient to indicate to you whether you feel it will be useful to study that function further, but take the opportunity to look at the whole of what is available to you in modeling if only briefly in order to gain a sense of how the system is designed. In NX-4 you may need you select an advanced role to ensure you have a good look around, but later a beginner would probably stick with the basic role as it suggests ways that the system is best tailored towards.

Try to get some training from a proper trainer either through UGS/PLMS or another reputable provider. You need to alternate training with real world problem solving so don't do all the training in one hit. You need to use it or lose it so to speak. If you aren't lucky enough to get face to face training then try an online course is better than just CAST and worth it on that basis, which is to say they're not overly expensive.

Be scientific and experiment ALOT, those things which you learn of your own devices stay with you forever. You own those ideas. Start simple and really basic to prove that something works before you contrive to attempt the test case which you suspect may fail. That sort of thing helps.

Best Regards

Hudson

The classes I have taken and all the help documentation I have read all focus on "go here, click that". Coming from ProE that part was not tough, the hard part was (and still is) understanding how to work with the assembly structure, how to make reliable interpart references, and how to structure things so that the model finishes updating today and not next week. The hard part is thinking how to mix extrudes with offsets and draft, with general pockts, or with sheet trims, and what selection method for edge blends will be the most robust during future model updates.

I've gone back and used ProE a little bit recently, boy was that an eye opener. I like what NX can do, there is so much at your fingertips. It is very robust and flexible, keep an open mind to other techniques.

I have been using Unigraphics/NX since version 8 back in the early nineties and just this past year have started using SolidWorks 2007. The transition was rather painless and now that I am tri-CADual (Used AutoCAD for 2 years between 2003 and 2005) my resume is more impressive and my worth has gone up. Keep an open mind and realize NX will allow you multiple ways to get to the same end all of which work great.

If you come upon an obstacle in NX just post your question here on this forum and you will get an answer that will allow to keep going. Since I use both NX3, NX5 and SolidWorks at my current employment this sight provides a wealth of information at the click of a button. I keep this forum open everyday and continually refer to it for help and new ideas.

Gary Ashby
Designer
UG/NX V8 Thru NX5
SolidWorks 2007
AutoCAD 2002 & 2008

To add to what Gary posts, also get a webkey account so that you can gain access to the UGS BBS ( which, along with this site, will provide you with many expert opinions, not only from us users, but also the people who develop the software.

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

You are learning NX at a good time. It is laid out more like most other CAD systems and should be relatively easy to learn.
You probably can accomplish thing in a similar way to other systems, but keep you eyes (and mind) open for better ways to do things. Also be aware that in sketching some CAD systems refer to constraints differntly, "point on a curve" and "coincident" are two that come to mind.
If you are trying to accomplish something and you think to yourself "there must be a better way ..." then there probably is, just come on here and ask.
I have been on Unigraphics for almost 20 years, and sometimes it seems like I learn something new everyday, so don't expect to learn it overnight.

Hi All,

Many thanks for the in-depth replies. I start the new job in a couple of weeks, so expect to see lots of posts from me!

Cheers for sharing your views.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back