Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Newbie lost in Paperspace 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnno59

Automotive
Apr 27, 2003
AU
I just finished my first floorplan (A2K) in Modelspace and then tabbed to Paperspace. The screen went gray. I opened a viewport. The window landed miles away from the white layout page (by scrolling I could just see it on the edge of the screen). Whenever I tried to manipulate the Paperspace window onto the white layout page I got "fatal errors" and had to do a "recover".

Somehow I eventually manipulated a paperspace window onto the white layout page but when I used the toolbar to open a floating viewport to get back to Modelspace, the drawing landed in the gray wasteland, out of the window.

Some things (possibly silly) I did along the way:

1. I rotated my floorplan in Modelspace. I thought I rotated back again, but the UCS icon in Paperspace finished up on its back.

2. I moved the floorplan around a bit, and at one stage I changed the drawing limits (bigger).

I've since successfully opened a viewport in Paperspace (another Layout), but where did I screw up in my first attempt. Nothing about this in George Omura or Shawna Lockhart.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, don't rotate your model, rotate your view. You can do that with a couple of different tools, VIEWPOINT, DVIEW, 3DORBIT or the VIEW toolbar. If you're comfortable with UCS control, you can even use that to rotate a view of the model by setting a UCs then using the PLAN comman.

The only time I've seen something happen like what you've described, it was caused by a bogus paper size setting during the Page Set-up (2.35 in high by 3550 inces long). The guy had a problem with decimal points

The current textbooks are not very clear on how paperspace is used. This is just the basics on how to get started. In modelspace - do not use layer 0 in your drawing; freeze layer 0 and create a new layer say vports in the layer manager. This is important later own. Select vports as your default layer before you into paperspace. Whatever the selected layer in model space is your viewport line layer in paperspace. Go to paperspace, go to page setup to tell autocad what dim the final printout should be. You seem to know how to select how many viewports. Select your viewport by double-clicking inside it, that tells the software to focus on that viewport. At the command line, type AV (Aerial View), this command will indicate where your view is in relation to your drawing. Use your mouse into the viewport and hold down the scrow wheel and move your drawing into the viewport looking at arial view as your guide. If the drawing is too large then use ZOOM XP command to get what you want. Click outside the viewport to bring in something like title and block or another viewport. When you are ready to print in paperspace, the viewport line will also print. This line is turned off by going to layers and freezing vport layer. This viewport lines should disappear. This is the approach that I use to print in paperspace. There are many others.Cadsaver is correct, rotate your view not your drawing. Let me know if this helps. John

One tip I like to is to put your viewports on the defpoints layer, that way you don't have to turn them off and on when you are printing.

Also the way I like to rotate my views is DVIEW, <Enter> (Use their house, TWist, and the input your angle, usually 90 or - 90.

Don't forget to lock those viewports.

Thanks CADaver, CADSTUDENT and zuccus for your invaluable help/tips. I think I'm now on top of it. The key to this Paperspace thing is practise !

johnno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back