Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie on UGNX-2 HOW TO CREATE SHEET BODIES? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadego

Automotive
Aug 24, 2004
AU
Hi all.
How does one join faces to create a sheet body?
How does one join sheet bodies to create solid bodies?

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To join sheet bodies use the sew command. If the sheet bodies enclose a volume, a solid is created. If a solid body is your goal you may find it easier to create the solid first and trim it away with your sheet bodies (kind of like sculpting, start with a large block and then create trim tools to get your final shape).

A couple of important things to note for beginners. Under Preferences -> Modeling there is a setting to toggle between Solids & Sheets. If this setting is toggled to Sheet & you try to sew, the enclosed volume will not fill in to create a solid, but rather remain a "shell" body of sewn sheets.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

say you have 4 lines/curves connected you can use thu mesh curve or thru curves to make a sheet
when you have multiple sheets and want to join them together
go to insert/feature operation/sew

thru mesh curve and thru curve is found in
insert/free form feature

designer gooroo
catia v5
unigraphics nx
pro-e wildfire
ideas v10
autocad 2004

schoryan,

I'm not picking on you (honestly I'm not) but you don't have to have connecting curves to create any Through Curves or Through Curve Mesh features. The curves only have to be within the Distance Tolerance & not connected.

I say this because it's important for users to understand how the Distance Tolerance works & when it's used.

I may be wrong, but I think he was only asking how to sew surfaces into larger sheets & eventually solid bodies, not how to create surfaces.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

so your telling me you build sheets with using thru mesh curve and using curves that arnt connected? seems a bit inaccurate.

designer gooroo
catia v4 & v5
unigraphics nx2
pro-e wildfire
ideas v10
autocad 2004

Yes you can....that's what the distance tolerance is for....to approximate a sheet through the curves. And WHERE did I say that I personally did that? Re-read my post.

UG's tolerance is there so that IF it needs to use it to create a body, face or edge, it will use it.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back