Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question - Max X, Y, or Z value of a curve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvantageDesign

Automotive
May 19, 2005
US
I have complex spline. In my WCS plane, is it possible to get the furthest X point value of this spline. I know this can be done in Catia, but uncertain how to accomplish this in UG.

Thanks,
Joe

Version NX2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd suggest this:
go to Tools->Expressions, then add a "geometric expression"->distance->first entity - point - endpoint-> pick the endpoint of your spline at Xmax; second entity - datum plane-> pick the datum plane normal to X.
This measure is a feature: you then can find it both in the Part Navigator and in the Expressions list as a parameter.
I don't know if this can apply for you...

Claudio

Try analysis distance pic the plane subfunction Y-Z plane (which means it is flat to the x plane)and the pic the spline. I think it gives you two a max and a min distance to the plane. Let me know if it works.

Thanks for the help. Measuring to the plane does give me the minimum point. I didn't see the max value, but I can always create a plane on the opposite side of material.

Another plane seems to be the simplist way to get max values. Maybe one day they will give it to us in addition to the min value for info -> distance. Send in those product enhancement requests!
[ponder]

Ah ah, these are interesting straightforward methods!
But if I wanted to link somethig other to this measure, would then it be necessary to use the "expression->geometric expression->distance" method, or is there anyway something simpler in order for this measure to "stay" in memory and be re-used by some feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back