Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie to Drafting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohinderlamba

Automotive
Jun 26, 2006
US
I was wondering if there is a inexpensive software tool that I can use for drafting. Autocad is too expensive. Others even more. We manufacture and sell automotive parts and need drafting off and on.
The organization just purchased Autodesk QuickCAD 8 and I tried using it but it does not seem "User friendly" maybe it is my ignorance. Is there another tool or maybe a resource which will make me more productive using this tool.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

wgchere

You forgot the eraser shield and scalpel/craft knife.

Out of interest Mo, have you had any drafting training or any significant experience.

I don't know about QuickCAD 8 but I'm sure any CAD package would seem daunting with out training and/or someone to ask for help. Especially if you don't have a drafting background to help know what you're trying to achieve.

Some are simpler than others but given your concerns with QuickCAD 8 be carefull that whatever you pick isn't worse.

One suggestion that I didn't see (or missed) here is that of outsourcing the CAD work. I'm sure there are others here who, like me, create drawings on the side for local, small businesses. An ad in your local newspaper should yield plenty of results.

I agree with Ajack1. Why convince someone with such simple needs to go 3D. They are looking for minimal cost and obviously a 2D only package will suffice.
While my personal preference is Solidworks without question, why don't you give the FREE SolidEdge Layout software a try.
Here is the link:
Some of you other guys ought to give this thing a whirl for fun as well. It is somewhat refreshing to work with a simple 2D only tool again. On the other hand it does remind me of too many years of pencil pushing!

By the way guys, I really think you should know this. Some have made the assumption that I am a young and budding draftsperson etc etc and the advice given, based on that assumption, was all fantastic.
But the fact is I am a businessman, with a software background, who is now forced, due to family health issues, to command a manufacturing unit. I have launched a warehouse in New York and am selling the parts manufactured by the factories we own and also make some custom parts for customers. Off and On and this is the key "Off and on" i need capabilities for a drawing. For Example a drawing is cheaper to send to a vendor or customer in China than a sample would be.
Anyway, and this is what I am getting at, day before yesterday a drawing was needed by a potential customer, the sales manager looks at me, as it is got to do with "Computers". Well I post it here and based on the answers I get, I pull myself up by the boot straps and tighten my belt and get that QuickCad Installed and ready. Learnt it, spent some 4 hours to finish a drawing that would take 1/2 hour for any of you guys but the bottom line is the drawing was finished and was faxed to the customer and was approved and we GOT the F&^%king ORDER.
The bottom line at this point to me was to get the job done and not 2D or 3D etc etc. [2thumbsup]
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU to you ALL.

To answer Kenat's Question. No I do not have any training in Drafting. And I think I should as I like it.

Mohinderlamba,

Glad you managed to get the order. Fastasleep had a good idea on the outsourcing, maybe you could find someone that you could fax a sketch to and they could put it on CAD or something, shame on us for not thinking of it sooner.

I was thinking about this post for some reason last night and realised that the short term cheapest answer would probably be to get QuickCAD working, and it looks like you beat me to it on that one!

I don't know what QuickCAD is like but if you struggle with it then the free Solid Edge drafter is worth looking at as I found Solid Edge easier to learn than some CAD systems.

On the drafting, sounds like the amount you'll do may not justify it but I know at least one community college that offers drafting courses maybe there is one near you if you're interested.

mohinderlamba

I recommend you take a look at a9cad. It is a very straight-forward 2-D CAD program.

There is a free version available, as well. And if you like it, the "full" version is very reasonably priced (~$35 Canadian).

To echo some previous posts, you do get what you pay for. But based on your description, it may suit your needs.

Best of luck with your business.

I don't know exactly what it would cost compared to other software but Kubotek's KeyCreator is a very good easy to use 2d system with good 3d functionality.

mohinderlamba,
Thanks for clearing me up. Your first post told me you did know drafting or was a beginner. Now, my suggestion is the same as others ... outsource the drawings.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

Fastasleep : In regards to Outsourcing I know we are not supposed to do business discussions here but In case I do have a future need would you want to do this? Where are you based? How much does it cost? Maybe we can take this part of the discussion offline (mohinderlamba@rebasoft.com).

Chris: When I came across as having some drafting knowledge, I had read a book on AutoCad. [LOL]
Well I should not laugh because it did give me enough knowledge to do what I did.

I would never want to go back to 2D after designing in the 3D world but considering the simplicity of your parts and your needs, and if I think of it as "my money", I would probably look at a 2D package. Make sure your choice doesn't leave you with an incompatible file type if the company ever goes under. My company has hundreds of Personal Designer drawings that are a bear to work with - DXF translations blow up dimensions & text into many little spline segments! I know some people will groan but I think ACAD Lt. is a pretty good 2D package for the money and most CAD packages can work with .dwg files. Whatever you do try it out before you buy it. Most companys will give you a demo copy usually with some sort of limitations or a trial period.

On a scale of 1 to 10, as far as learning curve is concerned, what score would you give a 2d package vs a 3d package.
I guess what I am asking is "Is the learning curve for a 3D package quite steep?"

Depends on your background and experience. 2D is much easier for some. Some people can't see 3D.
It's hard for me to say 100%, but IMO, I think 3D is easier. Once you learn 3D, you can make 2D dwgs. Much harder to make 3D parts from 2D dwgs.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

Being as you don't have any previous experience with a 2d program, learning a 3d program shouldn't be too difficult.

I know that sounds counterintuitive but it isn't. Most people that I know, that learned how to draft on 2d software and became good at it, had a harder time going to a parametric 3d platform because the design process is backwards.

In a 2d program (KeyCreator, TurboCad, AutoCad)you draw shape to fit the dimensions you intend to end up with. In a 3d parametric program (solidworks, inventor)you draw the dimensions to fit the shape. In Autocad when you draw a line you assign the length and direction when it is placed on the screen and you can trim or otherwise transform it to make it look like the finished product. Simple shapes can be pretty easy but you need to have some drafting background inorder to create a coherent drawing of a complex part. With Inventor you can sketch in a rough shape and then apply dimensions and "constraints" to lock it into the finished shape. You can then create a three dimensional object to represent your part. The program can then create a 2 dimensional veiw of your "model".

A 3d program can be more difficult for a software novice to operate but it sounds like you have a pretty good computer background, whereas a 2d program is easier to maintain but can be difficult to produce something that will look profesional.

Bottom line, I think for your application a 2d package would be the most cost effective route, you are not using it enough to get set up with anything more complex. That being said, I think a 3d package would be better for you from a learning curve stand point and for future expansion. If I was you and all I ever wanted to do was exactly what you have told us, I would buy a decent 2d package with simple 3d capability (I would recommend AutoCad or KeyCreator), take a class on how to use it and be done.

It's almost scary how easy it to use the 3D modeling software out there - something I clearly don't advertise at work! But keep in mind these packages have certain hardware requirement$ and require CAD specific video cards - your cool card for DOOM doesn't do much for Solidworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back