Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFPA 110/37 Compliance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinezry

Electrical
Oct 3, 2002
FR
Hi there, was wondering whether anyone can help me out with this issue.

We're trying to procure a 60Hz 250kW Caterpillar diesel generator to be used as an essential generator on an onshore oil and gas plant. The client is requesting that the generator complies with NFPA 110/37. We're having difficulties getting a response from the bidders, who are mostly distributors, to say that the engine complies with the 2 standards. We suspect these distributors do not have any prior experience dealing with NFPA standards.

Can anyone (a)tell me whether Caterpillar gen sets comply with these 2 standards, and (b)provide me with a list of reliable distributors of Caterpillar gen sets in the States please? They must have a proven track record in the oil and gas market in the Middle East preferably.

Thanking you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NFPA 37-"The Standard for the Installation and Use of Stationary Combustion and Gas Turbines", and NFPA 110 "The Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems" are standards for overall system design and application criteria. They have nothing to do with whose equipment is used. All nationally and internationally recognized engine generator system manufacturers can produce equipment which can be used in systems designed to meet these very basic standards. There are numerous requirements in these Standards for fueling, placement, monitoring and control which are independant of the generation equipment being used. I suggest you obtain the latest version of the standards and apply them to your project. I am positive the CAT gensets you have are fine, it is the rest of the system you need to ensure falls within the guidelines included in these standards.

Best of luck.

Having never read either of the Standards mentioned, I would question if the NFPA 37 is intended to apply to reciprocating engine driven generators.

NFPA 110 is the standard for life safety generators in the U.S. It includes two catetories of standards - Level 1 and level 2. Most life safety systems fall under Level 1. As Jamie said, there are many requirements in 110 related to installation, maintenance and testing. There are some items that apply to the generator set itself and Caterpillar can comply with those, but it must be specified when you order the unit.

NFPA 37 is a standard for reciprocating and turbine engines. It pertains mostly to the installation.

If your Cat dealer doesn't know these standards (esp. 110), find some place else to buy it.

Plntblder: NFPA 37 includes both diesel engine, (reciprocating), and gas turbine engine driven generator set requirements. It does apply to the stated installation. However the chapters in this Standard: "Engines", "Engine Protective Devices", "Fuel Supply for Gas Fueled Engines", "Fuel Supply for Liquid Fueled Engines", "Exhaust Piping and Chimneys", "Lubricating Oil", "Instructions", "Fire Protection"..., will indicate that the Standard is focused on overall system installation design and not on the equipment manufacturer itself.

NFPA 110 specifies the features which are required for a standby system, which is to say that the Standard has specific "Scope", (1-1), and exclusions, (1-1.4), which limit the application of the Standard to the "...installation, maintenance, operation and testing requirements as they pertain to the performance of the emergency power supply system, (EPSS)." The scope is not specific only to "Life Safety" loads, but is applicable to those loads. It interfaces with the "Life Safety Code-NFPA 101" for those provisions. The Standard includes criteria for classification of the EPSS as to Type, (Type U, Type 10, etc...), regarding transfer time, and Class, (Class 0.083, Class 0.25, Class 2,..., (in regards to run without refueling time), and Level, (Level 1 being Life Safety, Level 2-Critical, etc...).

In many cases the basic NFPA provisions are augmented by local requirements, in my case through the California Electrical Code, (which is the NEC with California Amendments).

In any case-back to the original question. Manufacturers cannot manufacture a genset to "meet these standards". They can manufacture equipment which when specified, utilized and installed properly, will meet these standards, but it is up to the person designing the overall system, in this case it sounds like that duty falls to RINEZRY, or his consulting engineer. The manufacturer can provide the equipment but they have no control over those factors which impact the standards referenced, unless they are given a "turnkey" contract, which basically states, "Provide a power plant to delever X megaWatts and meets all provisions of NFPA 37, 99, 101, 110...." or whatever other design criteria are applicable. But you will find, that the manufacturers themselves don't do this,there are power system companies which can, but that's an entirely different animal.

Best of luck with your project. Have a pleasant day.

I agree with Jamie, but would emphasize that besides installation requirements, 110 includes very general performance requirements on items such as starting time, voltage regulation, governor, exciter. It gets into more specifics on accessories such as monitoring, controls and alarms, engine starting systems, fuel systems and pumps, cooling systems, etc.

You really need to be sure to specify 110 compliance when you order the unit.

Would strongly suggest you obtain a copy at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back