Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NFPA 13 - 200 PSI Test, RPZs @ 175 PSI working Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2024
US
Hi all,

I have a concern regarding NFPA 13's 200 PSI Hydraulic test requirements. Every 6" OS&Y RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone) device that I have found is only rated for 175 PSI working pressure, so I'm quite concerned about the 200 PSI test, but I can't imagine they've been designed with such an obvious fault in mind - what am I missing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Allowable test pressure is usually higher than the rated pressure. Dig a little deeper into your device's properties, specifically the maximum test pressure..

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

IMO, 175 psi is the maximum limit for the process pressure for the PRZ valve on the pipe line. The hydro testing pressure of the piping and the PRZ can be 1.5 times of the maximum pressure limit per Code requirement.

Thank you both, very much appreciated. I'll check with the manufacturer since their sheets don't indicate a maximum test pressure (unlike all the other equipment that's clear about their difference). mk3223, do you remember if that's part of NFPA 13? NFPA 25?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back