NFPA 70 NEC Article 225.30(E) Documented Switching Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbd

Electrical
May 17, 2001
US
Hello,
Apparently we have a situation where a documented switching procedure is required by 225.30(E). Does anyone have an example they could share? How detailed doe this have to be? Any insight would be appreciated.

I had posted this in the NFPA section but that was apparently not the correct forum so I am reposting it here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have an example, but I think I would keep it extremely simple. Just need to indicate all of the circuits that need to be opened to disconnect all power into the building. I'm thinking a sign of some type. This can tie in with NFPA 70E Article 120.

Thank you dpc. My confusion is that this is a circuit with a normal feed and a alternate feed from a generator via an automatic transfer switch. I am confused since the loss of power is sensed by the ATS which starts the generator and then swaps to the generator after a predetermined time. The load will stay on the generator for 15 mins after restoration of normal feed. So what switching procedures are there?

For maintenance work, both sources (normal and generator) need to be opened and locked (or tagged) out. But I've never seen this part of 225.30 applied to a standby generator. I think the intent is to cover situations where there is more than one feeder into a building. I still think a small engraved sign could cover it. But, thankfully, I'm not an electrical inspector.

dpc,
Thank you and that is what I thought. We got some clarification from the electrical inspector and what he is looking for is apparently LOTO procedures as he referenced NFPA 70E article 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back