Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFPA 72- Fire Alarm question... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeWill123

Specifier/Regulator
Oct 9, 2006
US
Does anyone know any further wording in NFPA that talks about any fire protection equipment, device, system, ect...that if installed (no matter when) it must be 100% operational or removed if not needed or required?

The only thing I am coming up with is NFPA 72, paragraph 4.3.1.

Does anyone have a more information pleasze ?

Joe G. Willett
Jacksonville, AR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no other code I can apply that is relevent. The facility in question is on a federal installation.

Joe G. Willett
Jacksonville, AR

Joe,

I don't have it handy, but the National Fire Code (partner to BOCA buidling code) has something along the lines of:

You can't leave an abandoned fire sprinkler system in place. I am a sprinkler guy so I am not sure about fire alarms but would think it was similar.

I have been told that the theory was you don't want some one supplying new sprinklers from the abandoned pipe and thinking it is connected to the water supply. You would drain the system before working on it, so both would be dry when you go to make changes. Then, you fill it back up and leave. However, the changes you just did would not be connected to a water supply.

This sounds really confusing as I write it, so I hope you get the idea. I would assume the IFC has something similar. Again, that is Stookey's area of expertise, so hopefully he will chime in on this.

Well the BOCA code is dead in the ICC arena.

2006 IFC section 107.5 states that you cannot render a fire protection system inoperable. The intent is if one provides a fire protection system, even if it is no longer required, it cannot be rendered inoperable. The intent is that a fire protection system should not cause the building occupants or firefighters to believe that a building is protected when in fact, it is not.

IFC 901.6 further requires that nonrequired fire protection systems shall be inspected, tested and maintained. If the owner does not satisfy this, it must be removed and the IFC grants the code official to require the removal of the nonrequired system.

If the system is no longer required you have two options:

-- Maintain it in accordance with the construction standard and mainetenace standards adopted at the time of its installation - or -
-- Yank it out of the building.

Stookeyfpe,

That is exaclty how I see it too, I just could not find the wording in NFPA; I will get a hard copy of the IFC paragraphs.

Thank you so much. Now I can have a good weekend!!!!

:)

Joe G. Willett
Jacksonville, AR

JoeWill123

I thought the federalies adopted a building/ fire code for bases or had to go by the local code adopted by the city.

You will not find anything that says to remove it, but fire code says maintain it.

I know bases use a standard jsut do not know what it is any more.

have you called GSA

Let me try briefly explain a little further; I probably should of just ask this from the start.

A storage facility, used for hazardous waste accumalation not limited to battery storage, water reactive corrosives, flammable liquids/solids, ect.. The facility is 1600 sq ft. Built in late 80s, built with suppression, detection, and explosive proof electrical. Inside the facility are 3 rooms, divided by 2 hour walls, may even be 4 hour, im not sure, these rooms all have exit doors that lead directly outside. Each of these three rooms also have overhead rolling doors. In the event of a fire alarm, the rooling doors close automaticvally and they have heat links too.

Currently, the doors will not close or operate when the fire alarm goes off; my question is, IAW NFPA or any other code, must the overhead rolling doors operate today with the fire alarm as they were desighned, installed and built to do originally?

Joe G. Willett
Jacksonville, AR

If the overhead doors lead to the outside may be questionable if they need to close. They should just to contain what ever problem there is.

The normal answer is if something was installed it has to be maintained and operational.

I do not think there is a code requirement unless once again you are doing a protected opeing to require the door to drop from a fire alarm. I believe most codes now a days for overhead doors only require the fusible link, which I do not agree with.

Do the doors even close if the link is cut or is it just the electronics fromm the fire alarm that is not dropping the door????

All the overhead doors, are to rooms that are inside storage rooms, I wish I could post a picture of the bldg and rooms on this.

The overhead rolling doors, will drop if the fire link is fused, and they will also drop down electrinically if the fire is activated or activates.

Joe G. Willett
Jacksonville, AR

sounds like they are part of a rated wall assembly and are required to be there.

Should have asked if they carry a fire rating???

Same answer though if it is there normally has to be maintained.

In the international code for rolling shutters it says close using approved automatic closing devices.

in the uniform code it says fusible link or smoke detector

El Heffe is based on the ownership. If it is DOD or DOE, well we as local AHJs are screwed. Anywhere else, it is GSA. And GSA adopts the most current (2006 edition) of the I-codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back