Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFPA 90A Applicability

Status
Not open for further replies.

psulee

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2007
US
I have a general question regarding the application of NFPA 90A. In a peer review, I noted that smoke dampers are required on an AHU systems that are greater than 15,000 cfm and serve 3-4 floors. The engineer responded by indicating that NFPA is not a code and only a standard, therefore he was not obligated to design the system with smoke dampers. Can anyone identify where the "code" references NFPA 90A? Since I am not the EOR on the project, I am only making a recommendation, but the client is concerned that the system is not being designed to current best practices.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what building, fire,mechanical/ edition code is the building designed to??

any specs saying it has to comply with nfpa???

In most states, a building code is adopted, like the 2006 IBC. Chapter 7 governs when and where dampers would be required, like when you cross fire walls/fire barriers, fire partitions, smoke partitions, and horizontal assmeblies. Other parts of the code may require some of these componenents, but Chapter 7 gives you specifices, like when dampers will be required.

Within the code, referenced standards are used, like NFPA 13 for sprinklers, 14 for standpipes, 70 for electrical, 72 for fire alarm, etc. Unless the IBC directly referenced that standard, it is typically not required nor can the building official require it.
ich
On the otherhand, the building code is only the minimum requirements and design professionals are permitted to exceed to code, based on their judgement, experience, or client needs. If you have information which supports using NFPA 90A (like NPFA data), perhaps that is should be part of your recommendation.

Don Phillips

Thank you for the information. I had presumed that this would be the case. Without getting into the purely legal aspects, it would seem to me that designing to 90A would be included in current "best practices". And while not "required" it may be prudent.

Regarding the code reference, the engineer is referencing BOCA '99. As stated above, this code does not explicitly require these dampers. In addition, I cannot find a reference to the 90A.

You're right, I was surprised by the code reference as well. It was a state project that likely had a long history. Design likely started many years ago. As for the client, I'm not really sure that they know what they want.

I always thought that the code that was to be enforced - and designed to was the code in effect when the building - or other - permits were applied for - not when the design process began.

Am I missing something here?

This has hit me in the posterior in the past, when a design is started in one year and the permit is applied for the next year, but the plumbing code changed on Jan 1. I have had to make changes - not big ones - to my design.

would say as you said the day the plans were submitted.

Have seen smoe cities if a project is in discussion stages accept under code that the discussions were around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back