Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NFPA - Sway Brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatMech

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2012
QA
Is there anybody can help me whether I should provide sway brace in my design of fire protection system, in case yes. What in NFPA states that I should provide sway brace in my piping. Do I have to consider the siesmic zone map on our location.What if the location based on the seismic map indicates that it is a low hazard seismic zone, should I need this sway brace.My project is located in qatar and its a office type building. please help..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you under the I-codes? If so, a very simple explanation: the structural plans should indicate the seismic design category. If the SDC is C, D or E then you need to provide seismic protection. If it is A or B, then no seismic protection is required.

If you need to do seismic protection, look into chapter 9 of NFPA 13 (2010 edition) for the seismic bracing requirements. Don't forget branch line restraint and to check the max loads for lateral bracing of the braced pipe.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Thanks for the information, but I really dont know if the building code are based on UBC, because as per UBC code, Qatar is considered as Zone 0, which is low risk hazard and so bracing protection is not required. I also looked in IBC and the problem now is that there is a different methon if the seismic protection to piping are required or not, IBC are more specific in spectral mapped acceleration which is one of the basis if we should provide sway brace or seismic protection to sprinkler/standpipe system. I check if there is an available data regarding these spectral mapped acceleration for qatar but until now I dosen't get any of these data. Do you think that UBC code are enough to justify that sway brace is not required?many thanks..

Even if the seismic requirement is not important, the pipe should be sometimes above the code in some cases. A simple clevis hanger installation that is OK with the code should be improved to prevent a leak of water if somebody hits the pipe for example. I saw a case where an air conditioning unit felt down on a bank computer server during a maintenance work and they sewed the engineer, so he´s got to demonstrate that the design is OK, if he´d included a pair of extra bolts he wont be in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back