Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Nickel Aluminium Bronze B148 C95800 - Design Standard (Axial Check Valve)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y-Shevy

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2018
GB
I've used this forum a number of times, but I've taken the plunge and joined as I have a question I'm struggling to answer...

I've done a number of searches on this forum about the use of C95800 as a valve body material... As this material is not listed in either ASME B16.34, ASME II Part D or ASME B16.24, how have valve manufacturers designed valve bodies from this grade? Is there a 'loop hole' around these standards? I'm particularly interested in axial spring check valves rather than butterfly, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Y

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try EN12288, British Standard for Copper Alloy valve. Please note, that you may not find exact C95800, but in slightly different form CuZnFe... etc.
From my practical point of view, almost all standard aside from PED, ASME VIII, and some others do have what you call 'loop hole' especially when used as a single source. It is a guidance. Shall compared to other standards, ASME B16.34 do have more comprehensive values for P/T rating which correspond to ASTM material. But that does not mean you cannot use not so common material.

Almost the same case with API 600 about minimum stem diameter shall evaluated solely. If the minimum diameter of stem conform API600 table then manufacturer conform standards. No matter they use 17-4PH, AISI410, 316, weaker or stronger material, etc.

Good luck,
regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

I guess C95800 material grade is sometimes selected for naval or off-shore services (mainly salt water and/or fire-fighting systems) because it is specified by MIL-B-24480A (1991) and other military standards.

This grade has also been added for the first time in the 2017 edition of ASME B&PV Code, Section IX (with a P-No. assignment of 35 to Table QW/QB-422, and in Nonmandatory Appendix D).
Maybe the other Sections of the same Code will soon follow the example of the Welding & Brazing Qualifications one…(?)

Hope this helps,​
‘NGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back