Status
Not open for further replies.

trxt

Aerospace
Jun 10, 2008
TR
Hello All,

I have 2 questions;

1-) Sorry i am not familiar with chemical operations and i have never heard a coating process named "CHEMICAL ETCHED" In drawing it is typing " CHEMICAL ETCHED SATIN" This means satin electroplating ?

2-) Can SS316 be satin-nickel plated?

thank you..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at the middle two pictures, especially the one on the right. I assume this is the finish specified. The part in this picture was achieved electrolytically although this finish can be achieved by dipping process in what is called a SS brightening solution. The dipping process is not as common as it once was since the advent of the electrolytic processes.
The brightening process for SS is a mixture of hot acids that is rather tough to operate.

Can you comeback with a few more details about your part like size, material and end use.

Yes you can get a nickel/satin finish on SS. Again more information would be helpful.

Products are structural parts of a cell phone.Parts are formed by a progressive die. Material is ss316 and 0.3mm thickness. required minimum nickel thickness is 10microne.

In fact , i really didnt understand why satin-nickel plating is required on ss316?Do you have an idea?

Brightening process you explained above is the prior operation of electroplating i think?? It is a kind of surface preparation before plating.

If you are talking about large quantities of parts you need to look at electropolishing, not the immersion bath. I would look at what the electropolishers, both suppliers of the equipment and the job shops have to offer
Depending on the Nickel plating and how it's applied it is normally harder and doesn't scratch as easily as SS. Probably the main reason for Nickel plate is that it doesn't "fingerprint" as easily SS.
You also need to look at the mill finishes you can get on your SS starting stock, look around and then talk with your supplier.

Here is a starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back